Lowering your truck

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Hotfoot
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Lowering your truck

Post by Hotfoot »

I asked the tech guy at Eaton Springs about removing leafs to lower your truck and this is the answer I got

"Each leaf in a spring is important. A correctly designed spring is one in which each leaf is equally stressed and carrying a protionant amount of weight. Each leaf is supported by the leaf under it and the leaf above it. Removing leaves will disrupt it's design.

Now getting back to the real world, it is done every day. The key is removing the right (?) ones.

To lower a vehicle yet still provide strength start from the bottom up and remove every other one. Never remove 2 in a row.

To learn more about springs go to http://www.eatonsprings.com/techinfo."
If it Ain't Breaking than you ain't driving it hard enough!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

lowering truck

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

thanks Hotfoot, sometimes in our efforts to get what we desire we put aside important safety precautions.
I was just trying to remember the other day about the rule of thumb for removing leafs :Thumbsup

meangreen
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by meangreen »

pish posh, i removed two in a row and have absolutley no problems. handles almost exactly the same, just two inches lower
DeviantS c.c.
the lower to the ground the closer to hell, thats where were all goin anyway. if sparks dont fly your to high

1970 d-100
76 360, 727 3 speed auto.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Lower

meangreen
they don't mean problems it just is a safety issue, each leaf has a back up in case they brake thats why they recomend removing every other one, so how many do you have left in your pack????

meangreen
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by meangreen »

uhhh 4 left
DeviantS c.c.
the lower to the ground the closer to hell, thats where were all goin anyway. if sparks dont fly your to high

1970 d-100
76 360, 727 3 speed auto.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

lowering truck

I'm considering taking mine down to 2 I need to drop it another 4" and I have 4 left also, may end up building my own drop axle instead :Thumbsup

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Hey guys, you say 4 left? got any pics? I'd like to see the ride height...
Doug

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Here is where 3 springs and an axle flip will put you....nice and tight with the bumpstops :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

spikekid999
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: sticks of WI

Post by spikekid999 »

slick wrote:Here is where 3 springs and an axle flip will put you....nice and tight with the bumpstops :Thumbsup

how did u lower the front then? cuz i was lookin at mine and u wouldnt b able 2 do a filp on that
craig

1973 dodge dart (project Money Eater[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934209[/url]

1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue (Training Day Chrysler)[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2647481[/url]

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I flipped it too....
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

slick wrote:I flipped it too....
A welder, determination, and a BFH know no impossibilities.

:joker

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

When removing rear spring leafs remember that the axle tries to turn backward when you accelerate and forward when you put on brakes. If you remove two many leafs the spring will flex too much and cause rear wheel hop. You will need traction bars to keep it under control.
1969 Adventurer W100

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I put all the leaves back in it...raised it back up about 3 inches...here are some pics of my front flip brackets I made...I don't have it on the road yet, so it is un-tested!

1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

spikekid999
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: sticks of WI

Post by spikekid999 »

ok but i think ill just put a k-feam under it
craig

1973 dodge dart (project Money Eater[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934209[/url]

1987 Chrysler Fifth avenue (Training Day Chrysler)[urlhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2647481[/url]

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I think that would be more beneficial...
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

slick wrote:I put all the leaves back in it...raised it back up about 3 inches...here are some pics of my front flip brackets I made...I don't have it on the road yet, so it is un-tested!

Hey Slick......How is the steering geometry? Do you have any pics of the outer wheel wheel on the drivers side? I would love to do this if it works. I was thinking of sending off my straight axle to get dropped but thats like $500 bucks.. This would be a hell of alot cheaper. Is this truck a d200....reason for asking is I noticed it has 6 leafs and I just purchased a new set of dropped springs for my d100 and they only have 4 leafs. When i was ordering them the guy asked me to look at how many leafs was on the truck and it was 4 so i told them 4. Low and behold i got 4! They didnt ask me what engine but i would think a v8 would have more leafs possibly then a slant 6?

Did you have to modify anything on the shackles? how low did it drop the front after flipping the leafs? Any pics of truck before and after?.....Man im sorry for all the questions its just im pretty fired up about doing this myself now that ive seen it done . I have read so many susgestions about lowering it this way but no one here i think has ever actually tried it.. Allways heard it messes with sterring to bad for it to work?

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I really don't have any good pics, but I'll show you what I do have...yes the truck is a D-200...everything steering geometry wise seems to be ok...everything clears turning left to right...the only weird thing is when you start to turn the truck it raises the front a little...I think this is becase the steering arm from the steering box is a little out of alignment now...If it was a little shorter it would probably be better...
for my cradle I used 1/4" steel plate then used some black pipe cut to length to fit between the plate and the original leaf pad then welded the pipe to the plate. I also welded a grade 8 bolt to the bottom of that pad to use as the centering bolt for the leaf springs..I need to change a few things still, trimming the tops of the excess thread on the u-bolts, also to take the u-bolt out of the shock bracket and just use grade 8 bolts through there...I was going to use an airbag set-up, which I still may do if time and money pertmits later down the road...sorry if this is confusing :Thumbsup

1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I would guess the same setup would work on a d100? I was thinking the Pitman arm would have to be shortened. Thats the reason it raises the truck when you turn lock to lock right? pitman arm hangs down to low? ........Does anything hit?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Lowering Truck

Cliff people have done it that way and reported bump steer thats why I haven't done it this truck is like thatImageSlick your definetly onto something as Cliff elude's to the arm needs to be either shortened or I was lookin at lengthen it so it would go under.
Slick with the air bags you could go with 1 spring, the bags are stonger than leafs and shocks they are intended to be the main item on suspension.
I talked to air ride technologies in 98 about a kit and with the kit the whole suspension is dependant on the air bags to be the main component of the suspenion. I had considered doing the one suspension arm, as the Jeeps and new trucks do, and airbags, but money is the issue, but I'm going to drop mine this winter for sure, tired of it sittin so high :Thumbsup

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I was going to remove the springs, but ended up removing the bags because I need a few things to finish the system and I'm broke right now..maybe later on...does anybody know if the power wagon steering arm is shorter? I know there are a few different lengths, just wondering which is the shortest...
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara