disc brakes for a 3/4 ton....

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Thanks wideblock, I am not sure if this axle was 3/4 and up and if that was for certain years or what. In my mind, that truck can carry anything anyway. That is good news if your truck has the thrust washer on top, just a little grinding on the bracket and you are ready! I sent Roger a tracing of my modified bracket, so he might have one already fixed soon.

Slick, looks like I am ready to visit you now! Is there a time you have available?

Took it for a test spin. I could probably get a little more air out of the lines, but it is solid. Stops great. Stuff on the back seat actually fell off while I was doing some test stops. Never could get that with my worn out parts before. I would recommend a disc conversion. Speaking of drum brakes, for those not ready to do it, I do have some brand new brake hoses, shoes, and stuff that I bought before I started this project that I can't return (no receipt, messed up boxes). Cheap. For a 63 D200.

Wayne

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

let me know when your guy gets a kit price togather. im for sure interested in the discs.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

DarrellG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DarrellG »

Hey Big G,

PM sent about the non-disc brake stuff you've got!

Darrell

tailgatewagon

keep me posted

Post by tailgatewagon »

id love to get the kit when i becomes avalible please let me know when the hardware becomes avalible... thanks

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

It looks like several on the list have mentioned disc brakes. Check out AAJ brakes, at aajbrakes.com. Roger is the guy who runs it. He was very helpful in making my 63 3/4 ton conversion work. It is a bolt on kit. I don't recall the bracket cost, it was about $225 I think, but definitely worth it. My truck stops great now. The kit that Roger made is for a 4 bolt backing plate, which could be for bigger trucks as well. Look at the previous pictures. It looks like there is also a kit for the 1/2 ton as well. I like the kit because I didn't have to weld in some kind of subframe. It just bolts on. All together, with new parts-didn't have time to go junkyarding, it was about $800. That was the new rotors, calipers (and some core charges), seals, lines, kit, and I redid the rear brakes and put in a newer rear end. But peace of mind in braking was well worth it. I was also able to ditch the spacer plates so the tires wouldn't rub. Don't need them now, and I have an even bigger tire on than before.

Wayne

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Thanks for the update Wayne. I was kicking myself for not getting pictures of your conversion. Money well spent in my opinion. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

HighDesertDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HighDesertDodge »

I talked to Rodger at AAjBrakes today. He told me to send him an email, Telling him the info on my truck. He sounded like there would be no problem making the set up for my truck. Since it is also a 63 d200 crew cab. I can't wait to hear back from him. Or I should say, I can't wait to get the parts to start on this swap.
Well on my way to becoming that eccentric old man in every town.(crazy as a s#@thouse rat) With a yard full of desireable old vehicles that tells you, Sorry they're not for sale..... Someday I'm going to fix them.

HighDesertDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Starting on the swap

Post by HighDesertDodge »

Big-G
When you did your swap,Did you use a different perportioning valve? I pulled the master cyl,rotors and calipers off a 73 Chev 3/4 ton yesterday. I also grabed the perportioning valve just incase. My brackets are still in the mail.
Well on my way to becoming that eccentric old man in every town.(crazy as a s#@thouse rat) With a yard full of desireable old vehicles that tells you, Sorry they're not for sale..... Someday I'm going to fix them.

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

I bought one from MP Brakes, but I don't think you'd go wrong with the one you've got. I have a junk Mustang II lying around it its proportioning valve looks almost the same as the one I used.

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

My spindles looks like fosh's. What is the difference, 1/2 to 3/4 ton? Or is it a year thing? :thinking
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton
State: MD

Re: disc brakes for a 3/4 ton....

Post by hampstead38 »

Any updates on the project?

Hippy_Dave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Union
State: WI

Post by Hippy_Dave »

Yeah, any updates ?? How about a hard parts list, better yet a full size scan of the bracket too ! can't be too hard - been welding 'em on late model rear ends forever (dirt track racin') Sure would like some discs up front for the the big red truck.
69 D-200
37 Delivery Sedan (in pieces)
92 Dakota - traded for a 2001 Ram 1500
79 Dodge Aspen 2-dr -- didnt have time for it
2010 Charger former squad car = Love it
sweeet

elacruze
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jensen Beach
State: FL

Post by elacruze »

How the heck did I miss this thread?

Any updates?
'68 D200 Sweptline Camper Special, 318LA/4 speed
'68 Charger R/T 440/EFI/4spd/D60
----------------
My Build thread;
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23316

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Brakes have been fine. Sorry, I do not have a scan of the bracket available. Check out the pictures. If you are going to make one on your own it should give you an idea.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

elacruze wrote:How the heck did I miss this thread?
Because it started 4 years ago and was just recently bumped.

Hippy_Dave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Union
State: WI

Post by Hippy_Dave »

Any body out there have a hard parts list ?? I know there are lots of 3/4 ton vehicles that use the same bearings (If a guy needs to swap hubs) The Timken website is awesome in that it lists ALL the applications for bearing sets. You'd be surprised what the "set3, and set5" bearings fit. I'm not looking for anyone to do ALL the work for me, just thought it would be easy enough for someone to post a parts list ?? Thanks - It wouldn't be an issue if somebody would actually make the kit, or brackets for that matter - everyone seems to be "developing" it ?? Umm - yeah - OK Heck the bracket is the easy part
69 D-200
37 Delivery Sedan (in pieces)
92 Dakota - traded for a 2001 Ram 1500
79 Dodge Aspen 2-dr -- didnt have time for it
2010 Charger former squad car = Love it
sweeet

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

http://aajbrakes.com made the brackets, figured out the parts I would need, and so forth.

Ceraphim
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by Ceraphim »

I have been looking for a conversion kit. Kanter Automotive actually has the bracket and everything. They say that the drum spindles will work for the conversion? it is $625 and has the rotor caliper and hoses as well as the hardware. might be worth looking further into. It's for a d 200 so 3/4 ton. Still need the dual master, the proportioning vale and the bearings and races. at tax time this year i will be ordering the kit and taking pictures as i go through it.

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Keep in mind that there do seem to be at least two different axles. Not sure which the Kanter one would cover. Check out the spindles in my photos to see if it matches.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

wayne glad to see you're alive! swing by sometime..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta