disc brakes for a 3/4 ton....

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

disc brakes for a 3/4 ton....

Post by wideblock »

it was suggested at the car show last weekend that discs for a 200 and above arent as big a pain in the @#% as we have all thought. on his truck, a late 40's dodge flat bed wrecker running a 440, he used motor home spindles. simply swapped the spindles at the king pin from a motor home that was equipped with discs. says hes done it before on other dodge trucks, some had to have the king pin hole reamed slightly for the bigger motor home pin, but the swap was simple and works great. anyone have any feed back on this swap before i jump in feet first and screw something up??? discs would be soooooooooo cool on my big @#% truck, and this just sounds too easy to be true.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Wait before jumping! I have been working with Roger at aajbrakes.com on disc brakes for a 3/4 ton (mine is a 63 crew cab D200). It has taken awhile, but just this Friday I received the parts back. I sent him my spindle and hub for measuring. He has fabricated a bracket and it looks like he has figured things out. I will need to wait till the end of next week to get my front axle back from the machine shop (putting in new king pins since I had to take them out). It is a bolt-on setup. There will no doubt be a few loose ends here and there to check on, such as whether or not this setup will work on original rims. I don't have original rims, they are from a later Dodge truck, early 90's I think. Slick-do you have original 3/4 rims? If you do, maybe we could try one on for size. I'll need to check into brake hoses, too. Roger had several suggestions to try. I'll be able to use my existing bearings. I was hoping to wait until I had everything all together and checked out before I told the group, but it seems better to let everyone know there looks to be another very good possiblity. For those of you curious and for the purists, it does not use mopar parts. Roger could not find any mopar parts that would work. But I'd rather have better brakes (and be able to get parts for them, since I could never find new drums--which I needed very badly).

I'll let everyone know when I have everything together. I'll take some photos as well. I don't know if Roger has put a final price on the kit yet.

Wayne
63 D200 crew cab

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

keep me posted, my 65 crew cab, as you well know is way under braked. and if i hook to a trailer, im just along for the ride. LOLOL!
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

I'm in on that deal too. :Thumbsup
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

me too! What size rotors are in that kit? Is it forward mounted calipers, or rear?

49yearoldkid

Post by 49yearoldkid »

anything that makes the beast stop ...im up 4 it . thxs. i hate flat spots on my tires. lol

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

The bracket is positioned to the rear, probably between 1 and 2 o' clock. The caliper piston is 2 1/2 inches, and rotor is 12 1/2 inches (to the best of my measuring so early in the morning). The rotor and caliper are from a 3/4 pickup, so I would imagine it will be able to handle the duty. The bracket, and here I don't have a mic, looks to be 5/16" thick-it is heavy duty. I hope the machine shop will be done today, I can't wait to install it.

Disco
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Disco »

This would be sweet. I'd love to see the pictures.
I got my 66 D200 about 2 months back. It was not running and the breaks and Clutch both had leaked out. I got her running (new carb and electronic ignition) fixed the clutch and got the break master rebuilt and the rubber hoses replaced yesterday. Started it up and drove it up the driveway hit the breaks at the top she stopped :dance and then the pedal went to the floor and as I rolled backwards down the drive I could see the puddle of fluid that had dumped out of the left front. :banghead I could sure go with some disks instead of rebuilding the drums.

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Still waiting for the machine shop to finish installing the king pins. He called me late Friday with a question, sounds like they could be ready Monday or Tuesday.

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Yea! Parts are back from the machine shop. I watched him install them. Maybe next time I'll my own. Oh well.

The pictures are just a trial fit, nothing is cinched down (some bolts don't even have nuts-I just wanted to get the pictures out). I did have a problem with the bracket. My king pin thrust bearing was sitting on top of the spindle. The trucks that Roger at AAJBrakes had the thrust bearing at the bottom, and none of those were crew cabs. Even the parts book diagram shows them on the bottom, but they don't fit there on my axle. I wonder if it is a 3/4 axle? Only needed to grind a little from the bracket to make it fit. I've alerted Roger about that. Should be a minor fix. Things look good on it otherwise. Enjoy the pix! P.S. the cinder block in the picture is not holding anything up, there are proper jack stands in use. It was handy for getting things out of the dirt (wish I had a garage(':banghead'))

Wayne

Wayne

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

dude... your axle looks way different than mine...

that bracket doesn't look like it'll work on mine... bolt spacing is all wrong.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

fosh69 wrote:dude... your axle looks way different than mine...

that bracket doesn't look like it'll work on mine... bolt spacing is all wrong.
that looks like a half ton spindle - do you have five lug wheels or eight? i know there are two different type axles...

here's a pic of my AAJ kit on a half ton...

[img]http://benjamin_simons.tripod.com/css/64d100Resto/temp/DSCF0021.jpg[/img]

[img]http://benjamin_simons.tripod.com/css/64d100Resto/temp/DSCF0025.jpg[/img]
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

mine does have eight lugs, but I thought the only difference was the size of the kingpin. :thinking
When I bought the kingpin kit at carquest, they had a separate PN for the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton... so I bought the 3/4 ton, but haven't tried the install yet.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

1/2 ton axle

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

My axle looks like Ben's, by the way Ben how long did it take to install???

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

not too long but i am not driving it yet - still frame-off'n it.

Ron over on the other site is driving his and i think he has 8 hours total? time into it.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

I am ooohhh so close. I would have given Sherman a test drive this afternoon--but the lugnuts are a different size for the new rotors! And of course, no good parts stores are open on a Sunday here. CheckerZone had only 1 (':censored') lug nut. Of course, I need 16.

So, an update. Good news for 1 tonners and bigger! It would actually seem that the front axle that is on my 3/4 D200 is really a 1 ton axle (maybe bigger-I don't know). This had provided some confusion for Roger from AAJ Brakes and me. He had made the brackets for a 3/4 ton. If you are too look at the pictures that fosh69 sent in, his axle is a bit different than mine. I am thinking that this bracket will work as is on an axle that has a brake backing plate with 4 bolts. I had to chop a little off of his bracket, because his original spacing had the king pin's thrust washer at the bottom of the spindle, which is where it is on the 3/4s that he has access to. Mine, being a 1 ton or so, has the thrust washer on the top of the spindle. Everything else lined up just as expected. The bracket needed no further adjusting, nor did the rotor or caliper. The aspect of this that we don't know about is whether or not the spindle is the same for the 1 ton and 3/4 as for the size of bearings, seals, etc. Anyone know? So, it would seem that there is good news for 1 tonners, and maybe so for 3/4 tonners. It shouldn't take Roger much to find parts to work (if he can) since he already has the bracket, just need info on the spindle.

What else did I do? I replaced all of the brake lines with 3/16" line, just to make it easier with the new brake hoses. I used a proportioning valve from MPBrakes.com (I also suggest you get their hard to find hardware kit--there were 2 nuts that I just couldn't find). I'll take pictures for those who'd like to see. Used a disc/drum master cylinder of course. And to top it all off, I replaced the tie rod ends and drag link. Naturally, the right tie rod, which should be a left hand thread, is a little hard to find. I've ordered it twice, and each time it was right hand thread.
Other mods: I used a later model brake push rod. I could have ground the one I had, but I wanted to be able to put it back the way it was if this didn't work out. I also replaced the rear axle. I used 89-93 Dodge 3/4 Dana 60. It matched up very well! Within an 1/8" on the spring perches, and the tires fit in the fender well just fine. I was able to upgrade my parking brake too, since the new rear end had drum parking brakes. I used the brackets from a donor truck to get that to work. It could be done without a donor truck too. It is nice to pull on the parking brake and have the wheels not actually move.

And finally, I didn't need to use spacers between my rims and the rotor to get the spacing you need to get away from the tie rod ends. There is now about 1/2" space between them. Yeah!

If I forgot something, drop me line. Oh yeah, I'll let you know tomorrow when I get the lugnuts, how Sherman stops.

Wayne

FargoHPP
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Location: In the Old World driving cars and trucks of the Old Chrysler Corporation

Post by FargoHPP »

This is great news! I'll get a kit for my '70 D300, that's for sure! Has a price been set yet?

Can't wait to hear some driving impressions, good luck!

Hans

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

If I am not mistaken, the price for my set was $271. That was for the brackets and nuts and bolts to attach them. You need to provide everything else.

I forgot to mention, the stock dust cap will barely fit. It could use an extension of some kind, or some modifications. I haven't tried any mods yet. One side fits fairly well, the other one might pop off a little too easy. They need to further in to seat by about 1/4", but the cap is already hitting on the spindle. I'd rather not chop away at the spindle though.

Also, with respect to D300s, the bracket is for a 4 bolt backing plate. While checking at a local bone yard to see what my axle is, I came across 2 different types of D300 and aboves. One was an older D400, which had the same axle as mine, and it was a 4 bolt pattern. The other was a newer big truck. It had no badging to tell me what size it was, but it had dually rears with a flatbed. It had 6 bolts holding the backing plate on. Not sure if much changed besides the number and positioning of the bolts between those years.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Wayne, keep me posted on the outcome or if you need anything..do you still need the wheels...good luck...almost time to cruise when you get it together... :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

hey bro, hate to burst your bubble on having a 1 ton axle. but, my 3/4 ton camper special has 4 bolt backing plate and thrust washer on top as well. is it possible you just have the older style front axle then what the pattern was made from, or maybe its an upgrade for the CS? in any case, sounds like it will bolt on to mine as well. woo hoo!!!
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100