Do I Need New Rear Springs?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Do I Need New Rear Springs?

Post by martincom »

We finally made the move to Alabama. I returned to MN for the D100 and the Harleys this week. The D100 still has to earn its keep. I drove it and pulled a trailer from MN to AL. No major issues along the way. The rear of the D100 dropped pretty good with the load....and it has the heavy duty suspension option.
D100 + loaded trailer.jpg
The load in the box is three sheets of 3/4 plywood, about 300 pounds, and the John Deere dump carts, about another 200 pounds. I knew I was going to be heavier on the tongue than I preferred, but the trailer would have been too tail heavy if I put the Harleys in the rear and the motorcycle travel trailer in the front. I measured the tongue weight before I unloaded, 600 pounds. (Measured with a Shurline Tongue Weight Scale) I would preferred to keep it around 400. I also measured the tongue weight with it empty, 150 pounds. With the axle back as far as it is and the spare tire mounted on the tongue, I wasn't surprised.

Below is a photo of the truck still loaded, but no trailer connected. Still squats in the rear.
D100 no trailer.jpg
Lastly, the D100 empty:
D100 empty.jpg
So what do you think? Do I need new rear springs?
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Re: Do I Need New Rear Springs?

Post by chilort »

I had my rear springs rebuilt by a driveline shop. No regrets. I had helper springs before the rebuild that a previous owner added and I was able to get rid of those. Much better ride overall. Seems like you're there

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

even has a little rev rake without a load
nothing like a fresh set of springs ,and bushings

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Well, I did my homework. The truck has the heavy duty suspension option, rear axle rated for 1750 pounds. Between cargo and tongue weight, that totaled 1100 pounds. The frame, box, cab, fuel, etc are probably more than the 650 pounds of capacity remaining. I probably had overloaded it. I'll get more measurement next time I'm near a scale.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park

Post by Jims68 »

Hmmmm.... have you considered Air Shocks? You'll only pump them up when you have a heavy load and how many times would you need that? But, new springs may be in order. Looks like it sits "normal" without any load. Also... I don't know what new springs or having the old ones re-arced costs. Depends on your cash flow too :salut
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Eaton offers replacement springs and another indicated they were the OEM vendor. The springs are $369 each, plus shipping, bushings, U-bolts, etc. It would probably eat up a $1000 by the time I was done. Eaton also offers "helper" springs, which I'd give some thought to while I was there.

I haven't utilized air shocks since high school. They were treating the symptom rather than the problem. They also leaked slowly, which meant they required attention every so many days.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:16 am
Eaton offers replacement springs and another indicated they were the OEM vendor. The springs are $369 each, plus shipping, bushings, U-bolts, etc. It would probably eat up a $1000 by the time I was done. Eaton also offers "helper" springs, which I'd give some thought to while I was there.

I haven't utilized air shocks since high school. They were treating the symptom rather than the problem. They also leaked slowly, which meant they required attention every so many days.
Last time I checked, Alcan made new springs for a bit less that include delrin bushings, but I don't know if they're still in business.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg

Post by nutz »

if your ok with the unloaded ride ,i would look into helper air bags ,air shocks put too much load on the shock mounts
air bags you can mount where they get the support