HEADER OPTIONS FOR A CROWN VIC IFS SWAP

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
moore7568
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: MS

HEADER OPTIONS FOR A CROWN VIC IFS SWAP

Post by moore7568 »

So I have this 68 SWB truck that originally had the 318 3 on the tree and the straight axle on leafs. She is currently sporting a 505 Stroker with a Crown Vic IFS and a 47RE with a bell housing swap that has really made the truck a lot of fun to drive. Problem is I cant find a long tube header option that will fit. So far I've tried B-Body, but the options are limited. Any ideas??
Attachments
Old Blue.JPG

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: HEADER OPTIONS FOR A CROWN VIC IFS SWAP

Post by Hobcobble »

If all else fails.... get yourself a pair of '69-'70 HP style cast iron manifolds.
I put up with headers on my '67 Coronet R/T for far too long. :banghead

John

moore7568
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moore7568 »

The 505 Wedge needs to breath. Searching for a few more Horses for the combo and the long tubes sound so much better. I have a set of ebay shorty's in place now, but I've had to weld them up a few times to keep them going. I have 3" pipes all the way out, just need to figure out a long tube solution.
Attachments
IMG_2326.jpg
IMG_2326.jpg

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

What block is used to make a 505 stroker? Hedman was one of the few companies that made headers that fit 61-68 Dodge trucks, but I don't know what differences a CV swap creates or if you have any stock crossmembers.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

moore7568 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm
The 505 Wedge needs to breath. Searching for a few more Horses for the combo and the long tubes sound so much better. I have a set of ebay shorty's in place now, but I've had to weld them up a few times to keep them going. I have 3" pipes all the way out, just need to figure out a long tube solution.
I've never seen a pipe with blind stubs hanging off just before turning to the crossover.
Looks like they're supposed to deal with certain resonant frequencies.
Can you explain those?
Thanks,
Mark
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

The 68 and older is a pain because of the extra cross member. I used Hooker Headers but no longer see them available. On an RB block, the difference in height makes for interesting exhaust routing. I cut out the extra cross member and it still took some work.

Some pictures in my build thread from myself and others.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21741&start=80

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Wildergarten wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:02 pm
moore7568 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm
I've never seen a pipe with blind stubs hanging off just before turning to the crossover.
Looks like they're supposed to deal with certain resonant frequencies.
Can you explain those?
Thanks,
Mark
I questioned this myself.
My guess is exhaust turn outs to run open headers.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

moore7568
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moore7568 »

The stubs are for the exhaust dumps. These were fitted up with tack welds and waiting on tigging when I took the picture
Attachments
IMG_2317.jpg

moore7568
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moore7568 »

The 505 Stroker is based on the 440 block.
The Crown Vic swap is the root of the header problem. Had to narrow the frame rails about 2" to fit the IFS and had to go with a rear sump oil pan to clear as well. Probably goin to have to have a set made or modified to fit
Attachments
Truck.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

Looks nice. Also, what extra cross member??! I feel less bad about chopping mine out now. :lol:

Hooker used to make them. Doesn't look like they offer them any more but maybe you can get some clearance:
https://fcrcmachine.com/hooker-headers- ... 0-5810hkr/

moore7568
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moore7568 »

With the CV swap, you have to remove all the cross members from the frame, including the original motor mounts. The CV IFS is a complete unit that cradles the frame rails and bolts in place. Surprisingly simple install if you are handy with a torch, welding machine and tape measure. The unit doesn't even need to be aligned after install because its all dialed into the complete unit

bw406
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by bw406 »

Great looking truck!
Perhaps shorty headers would solve your problem? They may subtract a few horsepower but that 505 has plenty to spare.
I used shorty headers on my truck with the Crown Vic front clip. Not a big block Chrysler but it runs great and made things easy.

Doright
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pahrump
State: NV

Post by Doright »

Great looking truck
Did you reach out to Hooker to possibly build you a set ? They used to do a Lot of one off stuff back in the 80s.
So did Headman but that was before the corporations bought out these small mom and Pop shops.

You never know till you call and ask.

I gave up on looking for a set of Long tubes for my 07 Jeep Commander and bought a set for an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee basically same truck BUT their are some differences that will require me to do some cutting and welding to make them work.

Love to know were you got the info for the front end swap?
Dennis Barnett
A&P mechanic, General radio Telephone operator

Conductorblg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Milwaukie
State: OR

Post by Conductorblg »

I agree, the truck looks terrific. You might have to get bunch of mandrel bends and a set of starter tubes/flanges and grow your own. I picked up a set of 3/8" flanges with starter tubes from Hell Gate Hot Rods for a small block (LA) years ago, but as I have never needed to build headers from them, never got around to acquiring all the mandrel bends needed to put together a set. Just out of curiosity, what are you using to control the RE transmission? I used a 47RH in mine because it only needed 2 pressure switches, a vacuum switch, and toggle switches to control.