Rear drums and proportioning valve

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
65cobra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Rear drums and proportioning valve

Post by 65cobra »

I know this is a very tough to acquire item in todays day and age, but does anyone have or know of someone who has rear drums that will fit my 1968 D100? Will take aftermarket, good condition used, doesn’t matter. Also need a new proportioning valve so any suggestions on where I can get that would be appreciated to, and I am open to going with a more modern replacement as well.

martincom
    Sweptline.ORG Member
    Sweptline.ORG Member
    City: Five Points
    State: AL

Re: Rear drums and proportioning valve

Post by martincom »

I did a check on Rockauto.com and they were out of stock. However, they listed the manufacture and manufacturer's part number for two vendors:

DYNAMIC FRICTION 36543004

CENTRIC 12363005

I then searched for each of the part numbers and found quite a few listings--most out of stock. However, there was several vendors who reported quantities of one. You may have to order from more than one vendor if you need them immediately.

As to a proportioning valve, they are only utilized on vehicles with disc brakes up front and drums in the rear. With all drum brakes, It is just a regular tee on top of the rear axle. The frame mounted valve up front is a pressure differential switch which illuminates the brake warning lamp if the pressures in the front/rear systems are not nearly balanced, such as when a wheel cylinder fails.
    1*1971 D100 318 A/T
    1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
    2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
    1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
    1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

dodgeboykim
    Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
    Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
    City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
    State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

65cobra wrote:
    Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:44 pm
      I know this is a very tough to acquire item in todays day and age, but does anyone have or know of someone who has rear drums that will fit my 1968 D100? Will take aftermarket, good condition used, doesn’t matter. Also need a new proportioning valve so any suggestions on where I can get that would be appreciated to, and I am open to going with a more modern replacement as well.

68 Does not have a proportioning valve. Its simply a brake failure switch.
      My truck is younger than me.
      66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Wildergarten
      Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
      Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
      City: Los Gatos
      State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
      Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 pm
      As to a proportioning valve, they are only utilized on vehicles with disc brakes up front and drums in the rear.
      A proportioning valve is still useful on a drum brake truck if it often hauls such heavy loads the front tires start to skid. As it often pulled a utility trailer with a heavy tongue weight, my last Dart had an adjustable proportioning valve under the dash.
      '69 W200 (thumbnail)
      '68 W200 (RIP)
      '68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
      '67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
      Mark Vande Pol
      Wildergarten.org