Brake-Wheel laughs

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hd4tools
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: RACINE
State: WI

Brake-Wheel laughs

Post by hd4tools »

You guys are going to laugh at his..
So I went to pull my wheels the first time on my D200 to check the brakes since I had a pedel/floor experience. No brake fluid in the master. Now I have to bleed the, might as well go through everything...

This is not my first Mopar so I am aware of the Left-hand/Right-hand thead thing, but I got fooled on this truck...
I have reverse (Left-hand) thread studs on all four corners. Somebody didn't order the right parts somewhere along the line on this truck. Flashbacks to my first Mopar trying to get the lugnuts off.

Also does anybody know where to get the special tool called out on the manual to use on the rear Dana 60 to get the drums off?

Harold Davidson
Cesspool of knowledge. All kinds of useless $$hit floating around.
1970 D200

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Brake-Wheel laughs

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That's funny! Guess u didn't see that damn little L stamped in the ends of the studs on the RIGHT side :lol:
Are you trying to remove drums from the hubs or just get them off of the axle? IIRC, on a Dana 60 you have to pull the axle shafts, bearings and then the hub/drum comes off as an assembly. Been too long since I worked on anything that small to remember for sure.... :thinking

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

hd4tools wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:51 pm

Also does anybody know where to get the special tool called out on the manual to use on the rear Dana 60 to get the drums off?

I have never used any special tool to remove the front or rear drums/hubs on my 66 W100 or my old 71 W200 or 76 W200 or any D 200/100
Remove axle nuts and pull axle or spindle nut as needed.. May need to smack axle center with a small sledge hammer to dislodge coned washers and the special tools i use for removing assembly is a very large flat screw driver and a small chisel. Channel lock pliers work well for D spindle nut.
Need to bend back lock tang or remove cotter pin.. You can buy a socket if you want. :thinking :thinking
Last edited by dodgeboykim on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

hd4tools
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hd4tools »

So I did some digging and the tool called out in the manual is a 2 3/8 hex socket. They are available from the tool trucks, but I found one on EBay for around $20.

My new issue is do the front drums have a hub pressed into the drum or is it one whole piece. What I have doesn't match what RockAuto or NAPA show. I don't want to get all "Hulk Smash" on it to try and take apart something that doesn't come apart. The service manual isn't all that helpful in it's description, and there's enough rust and dirt to prevent 100% confidence.

here's what I have vs what Rockauto shows
Attachments
smalldrum2.jpg
smalldrum1.jpg
rockauto drum.jpg

Harold Davidson
1970 D200

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

After you cut the swage off the lugs and drive them out, the hub and drum come apart.
Actually, looks like you have the later front axle design and the drum just pulls off the hub/lugs.
Either way, the hubs and drums are separate pieces on all swepts.

hd4tools
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hd4tools »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:30 pm
After you cut the swage off the lugs and drive them out, the hub and drum come apart.
Actually, looks like you have the later front axle design and the drum just pulls off the hub/lugs.
Either way, the hubs and drums are separate pieces on all swepts.
The drum doesn't just come off the hub, hence my concern about breaking something that is one piece. Since I'm pulling all the studs to replace them with right hand thread anyway, maybe the hub will come off easier with them removed.

Thanks for the info

Harold Davidson
1970 D200

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

reason to keep left hand threads? to prevent theft! I always leave mine. now reason to switch.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

A press is a much better method to remove/install wheel studs. Quite often, the studs are what keep the drum mated to the hub.

You'll find a press is a necessary shop tool, as many service procedures require it and attempting to substitute a hammer only destroys things. Quite often you can find a used press on Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace, typically $200 or less. I've hears reports of acceptable performance from Harbor Freight units, also.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration