Power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
GTEEO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Timmins
State: Foreign

Power steering

Post by GTEEO »

I'm ready to get power steering for my 1970 D100 with a 440. Which one, CPP or **NOT ALLOWED**? Any advise would be appreciated. ... Thanks!

GTEEO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Power steering

Post by GTEEO »

What's with the " Not Allowed' for **NOT ALLOWED**?

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

GTEEO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:17 pm
What's with the " Not Allowed' for **NOT ALLOWED**?
Apparently, there was a rub with one of the forum founders years, if not decades, ago.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

GTEEO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 pm
I'm ready to get power steering for my 1970 D100 with a 440. Which one, CPP or **NOT ALLOWED**? Any advise would be appreciated. ... Thanks!
I've researched this a bit, but I've yet to actually do anything. There are some threads here in this regard as well as some YouTube videos. From what I understand, there are three kits being offered:

1. CPP I don't see it on their web page, but they do have an Ebay listing for the kit. I haven't heard anything negative, other than the interference issue with the automatic shift column arm and the firewall. The CPP and easy space street kits result in the column being moved rearward, into the cab, an inch or less. If you have a large belly, this will be an issue with the stock steering wheel, as it has quite a bit of dish to it.

2. EZSteer This kit is being sold on ebay. I've heard of a number of fitment issues. Unlike the CPP and the easy space street kits that utilize the factory rag joint between the gear and the column, this kit utilizes a U-joint. The added length of the U-joint will likely require column modification, to shorten the shaft, otherwise it will really extend into the cab and will create other fitment issues.

3. Easy space Street This may be the same kit as the CPP. They look identical, from the photos. The plus side of acquiring it from Robin is experience. They've sold a number of these and they are a specialty seller that deals almost exclusively with sweptlines. They will have the experience to know what pump mounts, pulleys, and so forth your application will require, likely saving you a lot of time and frustration. Checkout their Facebook page. They have some discussion and a number of reviews on the kit they offer.

There was a member here that adapted the electric power steering from a Prius to his sweptline. It requires some minor fab work, but he did a great job of documenting it in his thread. It was pretty affordable. I believe he said it ran about $300 all-in. A browser search works better than the forum search tool.

https://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewto ... 20&t=44140
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

GTEEO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GTEEO »

Thanks for the info guys. I've researched it all too and was just wondering if there were any problems with either kit, CPP or Easy. I read the threads on the E-Bay Easier stuff and am not interested. The electric is tempting but not for me. I was leaning towards Easy due to his choice of pumps. I have a '70 short box with a 440 and big tires. I need it to make backing into a space with my trailer easier. I assume Robin is Easy.
1970.JPG

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

yes been following this too
i want to keep my three on tree
witch makes the electro steering not possable
but didn't know the p/s boxes moves the column back
wonder if anything will work other then oe

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

nutz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm
I don't believe it is an issue with three on the tree, just the automatic. I'd message easy space street to be sure.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

I have CPP but, I say go electric. There are a few threads here. I don't remember what member put one in. :2cents Craig

GTEEO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GTEEO »

Sent a message to Easy on Facebook and he answered right away. I have more questions for him and he wants more info from me. I have an 'IDIDIT' column already installed so might be easier. I like the idea of a high vol/pres pump being available as I have a lot of weight up front and big tires.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

martincom wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:08 pm
nutz wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm
I don't believe it is an issue with three on the tree, just the automatic. I'd message easy space street to be sure.
ok great will do when i get close

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:37 am
From what I understand, there are three kits being offered:
There was a member here that adapted the electric power steering from a Prius to his sweptline. It requires some minor fab work, but he did a great job of documenting it in his thread. It was pretty affordable. I believe he said it ran about $300 all-in. A browser search works better than the forum search tool.
https://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewto ... 20&t=44140
Re the electric modification (which was fantastic) I want to add that it has MUCH less impact on space in the engine compartment mounting the power steering pump on a big block motor. This is especially true of the water pump inlet from the bottom of the radiator, which is usually on the driver's side. There are castings out there (and they're not common) that put the big block water inlet on the passenger's side, so if one chooses to do that plus the radiator modification, it adds another substantial sum to the cost of either hydraulic kit. The good news is that the water pump itself is the same.

I bought the E (space) S kit years ago and planned to do the modification (I have NOT done this), but once I saw that electric unit and the great documentation offered with it, I'm having second thoughts as I do have two steering cloumns with which to play.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org