Monroe shocks

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

Monroe shocks

Post by SteveH »

Would anyone know the modern stock number that would be the old Monroe number 4101?
I just pulled the front shocks off my 1966 W200 and that’s what was on there. One is fine, the other is kinda weak. This thing was a municipal snow plow and had a lot of mods,…most just shade tree practical stuff like boxing the steering cross arm with angle iron and that sort of thing. These likely could be non stock shocks.

Any ideas on an inexpensive shock that would fit? I don’t need the razzle dazzle gas filled expensive type or anything.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: Monroe shocks

Post by Kaegi »

Monroe number should come up in parts stores or rock auto. if your running radial tires get the monroe gas magnum (they might not call the magnum anymore). The monroe matic shocks are like stock and designed for vehicles with bias ply tires. With radial tires and gas magnums its like a modern truck ride. Same principle applies to vintage cars as well.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

I went with a vintage look tire. Bias ply, tubed, traction lug, and skinny, sixteen inch original split rims. I wanted the old look. Gonna go and get the wheels balanced tomorrow and also stop by NAPA and see my guy. He should be able to figure out the shocks since you think there might be some literature still available.

It’s got a bad hop/shimmy/shake in the front end. I’m hoping it’s just balance…but we’ll see.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

try to get tires warmed up good before balancing. bias are out of round in the mornings! 20 miles ought to warm they up good. i actually have bias on my d300 right now with the gas magnums. makes it much more stable on the highway. I dont mind the bit stiffer ride over the monroematics

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

All good suggestions. Yes, I will get them warmed up before balancing. The other thing I didn’t mention is although brand new, they sat for a long time on the truck,…like two years. Sooo,…I’m thinking they’ve taken quite a “set”. I pulled the trunnions today and they’re fine. I did go ahead and order the gas Magnum shocks. Also, I found out my truck has the special equipment of a front dana44 with the large closed knuckles. Apparently the knuckles are the same size as a Dana 60. It figures since it was a snow plow/salt truck originally. Also gonna have the springs addressed. They’re quite flat up front. Also, any rubber bushings have been gone since the 70’s Haha. There’s a jam up spring shop close by so that’s gonna be an easy fix.

All in all, a good day.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

good plan. have you tried over inflating the tires for a few days? run them up to 45 drive alot and see if that rounds them out

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

SteveH wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:25 pm
There’s a jam up spring shop close by so that’s gonna be an easy fix.
If you find out that they'll make Dodge truck springs with the reversed eye, let us know. Not many shops are doing that any more.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

SteveH wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:25 pm
All good suggestions. Yes, I will get them warmed up before balancing. The other thing I didn’t mention is although brand new, they sat for a long time on the truck,…like two years. Sooo,…I’m thinking they’ve taken quite a “set”. I pulled the trunnions today and they’re fine. I did go ahead and order the gas Magnum shocks. Also, I found out my truck has the special equipment of a front dana44 with the large closed knuckles. Apparently the knuckles are the same size as a Dana 60. It figures since it was a snow plow/salt truck originally. Also gonna have the springs addressed. They’re quite flat up front. Also, any rubber bushings have been gone since the 70’s Haha. There’s a jam up spring shop close by so that’s gonna be an easy fix.

All in all, a good day.
The springs "as designed" for the D100 and likely for the D200 are "quite flat". That does not necessarily mean they are shot or need re-arching. Also, spring "eyes" are not reversed but rather the spring itself, inboard of the eyes are reversed. It's a simple process that can be done in your garage with the correct tools and technique.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Yes, my local expert guy also said the springs were pretty flat originally. It helped with the ride, and with that straight axle, I guess they needed all the help they could get. I’m gonna pull em and see how hard it is to get bushings back in there. I wonder where I can get those? If I can’t find em I’ll take them to the spring place and have them do it. While I’m there I’ll ask about the reverse eye.