new front end

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

new front end

Post by 68swep »

I have a 68 swep with the stock front solid axle. Im trying to make my truck easier to drive so I want a new front end. I had my swep at a shop this week getting some rust repaired. They did a portion of the floor pan for $800! Seems high to me, especially since I still have more to deal with. Anyway, this shop does just about everything. I asked about a front end from them and the quoted me about 7k for a new independant front suspension, disc brakes (which I already have but they will use new ones) and power steering.

This may be on point but I dont have 7k to spend on this. I found a company called QA1 Design that claim to have a bolt on, no welding, independent front suspension for my dodge for 3-4K depending on what options you choose. First, has anyone had any experience with this company? Second, hopefully someone has had experience with them and cal tell me, roughly, the work involved? I would love to be able to do it myself at home. Any info helps. Thanks!

jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Re: new front end

Post by jimharold »

Check out the videos on youtube of the QA1 build, "Project Corkscrew", from there you can find the install video. It looks clean and easy for a home mechanic to do. If I go IFS this will be my choice. Good luck.

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

Awesome! Im gana check it out now. Thanks!

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I have a '71 D100 with the original front suspension. I don't find it difficult to drive at all and the ride comfort is also very good. It does have power assist steering. If I had a complaint, it would be the ratio of the steering. As it utilized the same steering gear as manual steering, it is pretty slow.

If your truck has manual steering, CPP was offering a complete kit on eBay, but I don't see it any longer. You may want to reach out to them directly.

https://picclick.com/1961-1971-Dodge-D1 ... 63525.html

Easy ------- Street is also offering a kit. Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaQulwh4Rls&t=208s

These kits replace manual steering gear with an integral power steering gear. With that, the steering ratio will be quicker.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

Looking into it now, i appreciate it!!

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Quite a few guys have done the QA1/Gerst setup and are pretty happy with it. Just keep in mind it's all based on mustang II front suspension components, so it's far from a truck suspension as far as ratings go. I think it's a much safer and cleaner setup than some of the other things guys are doing.....JMO
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab