Steering Geometry help

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Dimas/CA

Steering Geometry help

Post by DicksDodge »

I'm working on a PS conversion. I am having some spacing issues. With the spacers that came with the new steering box, the steering shaft is not close enough for alignment. If I remove the spacers the steering pitman arm offset becomes an issue. Below are two pictures. The first one shows the angle of the drag link as it sits. The second one shows what the angle will be if I remove the spacers. I have a few thoughts and would like some input.

First, remove the spacers and let the angle be more severe. I have no idea if this will greatly affect anything.

Second, flip the drag link. (assuming I cannot replace the ball joints facing the opposite way) This will fix the offset but it will likely require a longer pitman arm. That isn't a major issue because as soon as I finish the steering the truck is going out for new suspension (3"-5" lift) so I will have to buy a pitman arm anyway.

Any help is appreciated.
steering 1.jpeg
steering 2.jpeg
1970 W200 Camper Special 383/4sp.
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab LB Cummins

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Steering Geometry help

Post by DicksDodge »

I just noticed another option. An adjustable, offset, drag link will allow me to face the pitman arm end the opposite way, and after the lift should help restore the stock geometry. I searched and, of course, if I had a Chevy I could buy one in about 20 places. Anyone have any ideas where to source one for the W200?

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Rare parts used to offer one. Pushing 300 bucks.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Bottom picture looks closer. IDK about 4x4 but, I’m guessing someone makes a pitman arm. Try CPP steering. Craig

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

Thanks, guys. As usual, life got in the way recently. Might try again this week. I think I'll try it with the stock parts (though it will be offset) and see how it works. I will still need to get an adjustable drag link, but I'll work through that while doing the lift. It seems that most of the adjustables are for 4" lifts and that's close to what I'll end up with.