Front Drums Not Spinning

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jpenme
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Decatur
State: AL

Front Drums Not Spinning

Post by jpenme »

All
I am hoping someone has seen this problem before. My front drums will not spin when the lock nut is tightened. It is like the bearing is going back to far on the spindle and the back of the hub is contacting the back plate. The hubs only spin when the lock bolt is so loose the the hub can move in and out on the spindle. I have tried new bearings and pads. The only ting I can think of is there is supposed to be a bearing spacer on the spindle but I am not sure. The truck came to me with this problem. Has anyone experienced this?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Front Drums Not Spinning

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Its not a "lock" nut. Its an "adjustment" nut and is supposed to be set to allow the hub to turn, then locked in that position by the cap and cotter pin.
How tight are you tightening it?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

jpenme wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 am
All
I am hoping someone has seen this problem before. My front drums will not spin when the lock nut is tightened. It is like the bearing is going back to far on the spindle and the back of the hub is contacting the back plate. The hubs only spin when the lock bolt is so loose the the hub can move in and out on the spindle. I have tried new bearings and pads. The only ting I can think of is there is supposed to be a bearing spacer on the spindle but I am not sure. The truck came to me with this problem. Has anyone experienced this?
Photos always help.....
Also, do you know anything about the front drums on it?
I wonder if they might be from/for another vehicle?

John

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

sounds like the wrong drums to me, had this happen on a set of rear drums on my 66 - tighten down the lugs drums hit baking plate.

Are the hub plates on the inside or outside of the drum??? outside is right with the drum held to plate by the lug bolts