Tire and rim sizes that will fit my 66 D200

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Wrench62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mariposa
State: CA

Tire and rim sizes that will fit my 66 D200

Post by Wrench62 »

Hello...
I’m currently doing kingpins and a disc brake conversion kit on a 1966 Dodge D200. I’m trying to get away from the 16.5 inch wheels. I’m curious to see if 17s or 18s fit...between the size of the tires, the offset of the wheels and the fender braces. What will feasibly fit?
Thanks in advance...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Tire and rim sizes that will fit my 66 D200

Post by Hobcobble »

Wrench62 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:52 pm
Hello...
I’m currently doing kingpins and a disc brake conversion kit on a 1966 Dodge D200. I’m trying to get away from the 16.5 inch wheels. I’m curious to see if 17s or 18s fit...between the size of the tires, the offset of the wheels and the fender braces. What will feasibly fit?
Thanks in advance...
Howdy..... :welcome :usa
Stock wheels would have probably been a 16" split-ring. The back spacing is "approximately" 4"- 4.25" if I
recall correctly. :thinking There were also 17.5" and 19.5" one piece wheels available as options.
A common 16" tire was the 7.50 x 16.

John

Conductorblg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Milwaukie
State: OR

Post by Conductorblg »

Unless your disc brake conversion increases the tread width (perhaps the thickness of the disc hats mounted to your hubs would be enough), be wary of using later stock 16" wheels. I put 235/85-16s mounted on 1994 factory chrome 6 1/2 X 16 wheels on my 68 D200 and they rub on the stock power steering draglink before reaching full left lock. Even though I'm pretty careful to keep the tire from rubbing the draglink when maneuvering and it doesn't rub when making "normal" left turns, it's still beginning to look like the tire has a whitewall (raised white letters to the inside). I tried later model stock cast aluminum 16 X 10 wheels (never checked tire size) before I put the 1994 ones on, but although the tires didn't rub the fenders or anywhere else I could tell, the left front tire rubbed so bad anytime the truck wasn't pointed straight ahead, I couldn't really drive it.

Likely wheel spacers could have stopped the rubbing with the 6 1/2 wide wheels, but I never investigated how thick the spacers would need to be because I figured the issue will correct itself after I convert to the disc brake Dana 44 and front mounted integral power steering from a 90 W250 I wrecked, as tire rub was never as issue with it.

I had 10" wide aftermarket chrome wheels with more offset, carrying larger tires, on the 90 before the 235/85s and they didn't rub, so I'm guessing aftermarket wheels with more offset will be your answer, as long as you're careful to test for draglink clearance before using them. If you pay attention to tire size and aspect ratio to keep any increase in rolling diameter reasonable, increasing to a larger wheel diameter should be a non issue with fender clearance.

hd4tools
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: RACINE
State: WI

Post by hd4tools »

Conductorblg wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:22 pm
Unless your disc brake conversion increases the tread width (perhaps the thickness of the disc hats mounted to your hubs would be enough), be wary of using later stock 16" wheels. I put 235/85-16s mounted on 1994 factory chrome 6 1/2 X 16 wheels on my 68 D200 and they rub on the stock power steering draglink before reaching full left lock. Even though I'm pretty careful to keep the tire from rubbing the draglink when maneuvering and it doesn't rub when making "normal" left turns, it's still beginning to look like the tire has a whitewall (raised white letters to the inside). I tried later model stock cast aluminum 16 X 10 wheels (never checked tire size) before I put the 1994 ones on, but although the tires didn't rub the fenders or anywhere else I could tell, the left front tire rubbed so bad anytime the truck wasn't pointed straight ahead, I couldn't really drive it.

Likely wheel spacers could have stopped the rubbing with the 6 1/2 wide wheels, but I never investigated how thick the spacers would need to be because I figured the issue will correct itself after I convert to the disc brake Dana 44 and front mounted integral power steering from a 90 W250 I wrecked, as tire rub was never as issue with it.

I had 10" wide aftermarket chrome wheels with more offset, carrying larger tires, on the 90 before the 235/85s and they didn't rub, so I'm guessing aftermarket wheels with more offset will be your answer, as long as you're careful to test for draglink clearance before using them. If you pay attention to tire size and aspect ratio to keep any increase in rolling diameter reasonable, increasing to a larger wheel diameter should be a non issue with fender clearance.
Greetings from the "other" Milwaukee!

Trying to decide on new wheels/tires for my D200. Do you have pics of your rig with those rims?

Harold Davidson
Cesspool of knowledge. All kinds of useless $$hit floating around.
1970 D200