Axle flipped now what

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Axle flipped now what

Post by my5thmopar »

I flipped the axle on my 64 D100 using a 68 differential. The axle is now on top of the springs. Yes I reset pinion angle. It’s about an inch lower than I like so I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix. Now before you say longer shackles....that won’t work because the hangers weren’t reversed. I’m thinking of short shackles that will still pivot in the rear hanger without hitting. I could use a stiffer spring but, that’s costly and a harsher ride. What do ya think. Craig

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Axle flipped now what

Post by Wildergarten »

my5thmopar wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:03 pm
I flipped the axle on my 64 D100 using a 68 differential. The axle is now on top of the springs. Yes I reset pinion angle. It’s about an inch lower than I like so I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix.
The easiest would be air shocks; then you could have any ride height you want within reason. Bigger tires? Move the hangars?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:29 pm
my5thmopar wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:03 pm
I flipped the axle on my 64 D100 using a 68 differential. The axle is now on top of the springs. Yes I reset pinion angle. It’s about an inch lower than I like so I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix.
The easiest would be air shocks; then you could have any ride height you want within reason. Bigger tires? Move the hangars?
What do you mean? Move the hangers, explain.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

my5thmopar wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 pm
What do you mean? Move the hangers, explain.
The rear spring hangars are off the sides of the frame. One could in principle drill out the rivets, weld up the holes, and drill new holes, perhaps with a strap of local reinforcement to distribute the load bottom of the frame such as about a third of a sliced 2x2 tube perhaps a foot long below each hangar. It's a big job. I'd do the air shocks both to see what I really wanted and to learn how it is to live with it before doing anything so permanent.

As to the front hangars, I don't have any answers. I'm not into lowered trucks. They look cool, but I wouldn't want one on our POS California roads.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

I looked things over last night. I think I can get away with a 2 inch shorter shackles. This should net roughly 1 inch. I have some stock hangers and will just make some if needed. I also see that the hangers could be moved but, they will be lower than the frame. That option would be a lot of work. No air shocks but, possibly a coil overs to help with the weak springs. It’s always a work in progress so I’m in no hurry. Thanks for the suggestions. Craig

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

my5thmopar wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 am
I also see that the hangers could be moved but, they will be lower than the frame.
That is why I suggested the 2X2 tube sliced into a channel. Where there are bolts, one should weld a heavy walled tube into the channel.

It's a hassle with very limited options.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Wildergarten wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:44 pm
my5thmopar wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 am
I also see that the hangers could be moved but, they will be lower than the frame.
That is why I suggested the 2X2 tube sliced into a channel. Where there are bolts, one should weld a heavy walled tube into the channel.

It's a hassle with very limited options.
Understood. I was agreeing. Thanks

ScrooLoose
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Doylestown
State: OH

Post by ScrooLoose »

Craig
Just curious, When you flipped your axle how much drop did you yield? I too would like my truck a little lower but not to the extremes I've seen. Would like it to still function as a truck. No heavy loads though. I have been pondering the longer shackles and maybe leafs removed. But would like to know what a axle flop adds up to. (or removes from the height)
Thanx.
SL.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

It’s right at 3 inches give or take depending on your type of perches. My springs are stock without the overload. I guess you could keep the overload but, I’m not sure how that figures into the equation. I don’t think it changes the height, only the load. Longer shackles will lower it more (when flipped) because the stock rear hangers are reversed. If you’re going to use it as a truck you should probably think about modifying the hanger/shackles orientation. Your axle will hit the frame with an axle flip, stock springs and any weight in the bed. The tires height are 29.3 btw. Craig