68 Lowering - combo drop axle and drop springs

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jengel451
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville
State: MT

68 Lowering - combo drop axle and drop springs

Post by jengel451 »

been searching the web/forums. I'm in so deep I can't remember what I read, where etc. getting old does that I guess. And yes, I realize this topic is a lot like an oil thread here. I'll fall on my sword for this one.

Here's my situation. Truck had a slant 6 with 4 leaf packs up front. Took one leaf out....forgot to write down the axle to fender distance before I pulled the engine for a 5.9 swap....dumbass move on my part. It may have been a close to a 2 inch drop, but I only had around an inch travel before it hit the bump stops (Not good). Who knows what original was like etc.

Anywho:

I've decide to go a little lower than what I had, I want to keep the 15" wheels with 225/70 tires.

I don't want to go full 3" spring drop due to lack of travel, nor do I want a full 3" axle drop due to steering issues and or scrub line issues.

What's a good combo to use between sids/springs? I know everything is a compromise and I don't really want it TOO low, I live on a gravel road in montana, so roads aren't exactly what you would call "smooth". I need some travel.

BTW, I have a crown vic IFS sitting in the shop I was going to use, but can't bring myself to live with the wider track, to me it just looks goofy once you get the right backspacing. So it's going on the block if I can really get something else to work.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: 68 Lowering - combo drop axle and drop springs

Post by Series1Utiline »

I can tell you that from my personal experience, the 4-leaf slant 6 pack doesn't work (at all) well with a V-8. Going to 3 springs with a V-8 would be far worse. It's best to get the drop you want via other means (i.e. an axle drop, reversing the spring eye that is currently turned up and or a spring pack that is designed to lower the ride height). In my opinion from my own truck, you need 5 springs in the pack you end up with, especially on the type of roads you described. No matter what however, you're still going to need an adjustment of the drag link (via the steering arm) after lowering to assure the correct geometry is maintained.

jengel451
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jengel451 »

Right, I know I'll need springs etc.

But what is a good combo? How much drop axle in combo with how much drop spring?

How much of each to give a decent ride and decent scrub line?

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

A 3" dropped axle (with dropped tie rod ends) will result in an acceptable scrub line. I have essentially a stock v-8 (5 spring) pack but with a new main leaf that has both eyes turned downward. The stock ride is maintained. If you're using the original steering box, you will need a W100 pitman arm and you will probably still need to remove and bend the steering arm in order to maintain the correct geometry so as to not have bump steer.
Last edited by Series1Utiline on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jengel451
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jengel451 »

ok, that helps! damn springs are spendy!!!!!!

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Winter Park
State: FL

Post by Volksnut »

jengel451 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:32 pm
Didn't know you needed the W100 pitman arm, is it shorter and is this just for the 3" lowered beam? I just installed 3" dropped Eaton springs with 4 leafs. Originally when I bought the truck it had the stock springs with all but 2 leafs left. It was low but still had travel. So after seeing what was left of that spring pack I decided to purchase new. I have yet to reinstall the steering box or pitman arm, but for now it sits about an 1" higher than before. I do need taller tires (235/60-15's are on it now) was thinking about 225 or 235/70-15's What does yours look like with the 225's?
Attachments
sideview1.jpeg

jengel451
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jengel451 »

Volksnut wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 pm
jengel451 wrote:
Didn't know you needed the W100 pitman arm, is it shorter and is this just for the 3" lowered beam? I just installed 3" dropped Eaton springs with 4 leafs. Originally when I bought the truck it had the stock springs with all but 2 leafs left. It was low but still had travel. So after seeing what was left of that spring pack I decided to purchase new. I have yet to reinstall the steering box or pitman arm, but for now it sits about an 1" higher than before. I do need taller tires (235/60-15's are on it now) was thinking about 225 or 235/70-15's What does yours look like with the 225's?
I don't have a picture and right now the truck is on jack stands without an engine.

That picture is with just 3" spring drop? How much distance from the leaf to the rubber bumpstop?

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Winter Park
State: FL

Post by Volksnut »

jengel451 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 pm
Volksnut wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 pm
jengel451 wrote:

That picture is with just 3" spring drop? How much distance from the leaf to the rubber bumpstop?
Yes just the 3" dropped springs, no bump stops as of yet, I'm sure ill need shorter shocks, I haven't checked them compressed yet.