Lowered leaf spring question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Winter Park
State: FL

Lowered leaf spring question

Post by Volksnut »

Got around to installing my 3" lower than stock Eaton leaf springs today. A few things I noticed
1. There longer by 1/2" to 3/4" which extends the shackle way forward (see pix)
2. The center of the spring where the axle attaches seems farther forward although still in the center of spring, which now looks to be on an upward slope....to increase caster?
3. Assuming the spring is installed correctly (see pix) with the front eye under spring and the rear over spring, my thought though....with the shackle so far forward would it be better to install spring the other way around for more clearance or did Eaton just make it too long?
Attachments
20201024_152824.jpeg
20201024_181441.jpeg
20201024_152809.jpeg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Lowered leaf spring question

Post by Wildergarten »

I'd consider sending them back. For sure you should call or email them.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Wildergarten wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Oh don't worry I will, it was Saturday and there closed and thought maybe someone else ran into the same problem as I....doesn't look good and I'm out one of these guys
Attachments
1000bill.png
1000bill.png (97.03 KiB) Viewed 984 times

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

Are you checking length without comparing the arc of the 2 spring packs? If the arc is less on the new springs, that may be the issue. I have both spring eyes turned downward on my 65 (on otherwise OEM springs) and the front shackle is angled very similar to yours but, that's when the truck is on the ground (not on axle stands or otherwise held off the ground). The arch of the springs is almost non-existent with the truck sitting such that any remaining forward shackle travel is going to be very small before it reaches a point where shackle travel would reverse direction.

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:39 am
Are you checking length without comparing the arc of the 2 spring packs? If the arc is less on the new springs, that may be the issue. I have both spring eyes turned downward on my 65 (on otherwise OEM springs) and the front shackle is angled very similar to yours but, that's when the truck is on the ground (not on axle stands or otherwise held off the ground). The arch of the springs is almost non-existent with the truck sitting such that any remaining forward shackle travel is going to be very small before it reaches a point where shackle travel would reverse direction.
You know what....I believe your right, they are almost straight with no arch with no weight, so when weight is added they arch upward pulling the shackel towards the rear of the car. Also on my springs one eye is up one eye is down on the same spring

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Volksnut wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:59 am
Series1Utiline wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:39 am
You know what....I believe your right, they are almost straight with no arch with no weight, so when weight is added they arch upward pulling the shackel towards the rear of the car. Also on my springs one eye is up one eye is down on the same spring
Okay, put some weight on the spring, spring of course went outward and hit rivets on frame see picture #6, picture #5 is at rest. Also you can see the length difference of the 2 springs picture's #1 and 2 with the center line way off. You'll notice in the picture #4 how close it will now come to hitting pan.
Attachments
spring1.jpeg
spring2.jpeg
spring3.jpeg
spring4.jpeg
spring5.jpeg
spring6.jpeg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Volksnut wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:36 am
Wildergarten wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Oh don't worry I will, it was Saturday and there closed and thought maybe someone else ran into the same problem as I....doesn't look good and I'm out one of these guys
Good, Eton charges top dollar for those. If you still have your old springs, I'd measure every leaf and see if they blew it on both whole packs or just the two top leaves. Shipping those isn't cheap either.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Okay talked to Eaton (very nice by the way) the lowered spring is longer at 24 3/8" oc with the original at 24". With the weight of the truck on the spring it will arch back up shortening the spring. I'll install and put it on the ground and give updates.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Volksnut wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 am
......With the weight of the truck on the spring it will arch back up......
How the hell is that possible?

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Reverse arch

ScrooLoose
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Doylestown
State: OH

Post by ScrooLoose »

Volksnut wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 am
Okay talked to Eaton (very nice by the way) the lowered spring is longer at 24 3/8" oc with the original at 24". With the weight of the truck on the spring it will arch back up shortening the spring. I'll install and put it on the ground and give updates.
Please do let us know how things go.
I am getting ready to buy springs and go down the same road.
So I appreciate the post.
Thanx.
SL.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Volksnut wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 am
Reverse arch
So u are saying the spring is upside down and when u add weight it will arch DOWN?

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:37 pm
Volksnut wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 am
Reverse arch
So u are saying the spring is upside down and when u add weight it will arch DOWN?
Sorry maybe I said it wrong. The spring is longer and the shackle will be farther forward, the spring has little arch almost flat with no weight...when the car is on the ground with weight added the spring will bend upwards (reverse smile) and pull the shackle back towards the rear shortening the spring.

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Got the springs and axle installed today, seems fine....I'm waiting on seals before the rotors/wheels go on, but you'll see all the weight is on the springs here....looks good, spring is arched upward. Eaton did tell me the spring is installed with the rear eye downward so I had that mounted backwards in the earlier photos.
Attachments
axle.jpeg
axle2.jpeg
axle3.jpeg
Last edited by Volksnut on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrooLoose
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Doylestown
State: OH

Post by ScrooLoose »

Volksnut
If you don't mind please post some photos when you get er on the ground.
I'm interested in seeing your project with -3" springs installed.
PS: Does the castor seem to be correct now ?
Thanx man.
SL.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

OK, I now understand what you are saying, but I don't agree with your terminology.
When the truck is sitting on the ground, the CENTER of the spring, which sits on the axle, does NOT move vertically in either direction, not UP, not DOWN. The ENDS move. When weight is added, the ends move DOWN. So whatever "arc" or "arch" there is, it is not created by an UP motion, or "arching upward" as you stated.
Of course an increased "arc" will pull the ends closer together. That's just basic tenth grade geometry.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

Is your lowering project with the new spring pack only or did you also have the axle dropped further? Either way, make sure to check the height of the pitman arm hole center (for the drag link) to the center of the steering arm (thickness) to confirm those points are roughly level with the truck on the ground.

Just curious, what year and model is your truck and is that front sump oil pan factory on yours? I had previously been told those were used on 4WD trucks from the factory but obviously yours is not.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:00 am
Just curious, what year and model is your truck and is that front sump oil pan factory on yours? I had previously been told those were used on 4WD trucks from the factory but obviously yours is not.
Front sump pans were standard on the V8 Sweptlines. :study

John

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:00 am
Is your lowering project with the new spring pack only or did you also have the axle dropped further? Either way, make sure to check the height of the pitman arm hole center (for the drag link) to the center of the steering arm (thickness) to confirm those points are roughly level with the truck on the ground.

Its a '63 D100 with 318. I did just the leafs, axle is stock

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

ScrooLoose wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:18 pm
Volksnut
If you don't mind please post some photos when you get er on the ground.
I'm interested in seeing your project with -3" springs installed.
PS: Does the castor seem to be correct now ?
Thanx man.
SL.
Here you go. Presently the car has 235/60-15's on the front and I think there too short. Will be adding a pair of 235/70-15's to match rear tire height, should fill up the wheel well.
Attachments
sideview.jpeg
sideview1.jpeg