Front passenger brake won’t release

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
GnomeSaiyan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Draper
State: UT

Front passenger brake won’t release

Post by GnomeSaiyan »

Hello,

I have a 1969 D100, and earlier this year (before it belonged to me) it would pull pretty hard to the right when you hit the brakes. Seven months later, I’ve installed a remanufactured 318 and the Classic Disc Brakes front conversion set (w/ Scarebird hubs). I installed some new brake line with the kit, but there are still some original lines in there, along with the original distribution block. The brakes stopped very evenly during the first few test runs, but bringing it back from the muffler shop today, the front passenger brake locked up.

I tried readjusting the proportioning valve to see if I could alleviate some pressure on the front brakes, but it didn’t help much. I’ve read that the hard pull to the right is common with these trucks; anyone know the reason?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Front passenger brake won’t release

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Did you replace the rubber hoses from the frame to the caliper?
No way is a pull one way or the other "common with these trucks". Whoever writes that knows nothing about these trucks.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

I have had brakes pull to a side and it was always something broken or adjusted wrong and not normal or common.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Any contamination of a brake pad or rotor can produce chattering and grabbing by the brakes. What you are describing sounds to me like a possible hub seal failure.

Assembling a hub is a risky business for the seal. Effectively, seals go through a 'break in" period similar to piston rings. The slightest damage to the seal during assembly can produce a microscopic injury with real consequences. This is why not long after the Sweptline period, Dana added large fillets on the ends of their seal journals to reduce injury during assembly.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

GnomeSaiyan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Draper
State: UT

Post by GnomeSaiyan »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 pm
Did you replace the rubber hoses from the frame to the caliper?
No way is a pull one way or the other "common with these trucks". Whoever writes that knows nothing about these trucks.
I did replace those rubber hoses

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

U said it pulled to the right before u bought it, when it still had factory brakes. Now it locks up on the right with the non factory disk brakes. Unlikely the 2 failures are caused by the same defect, but u have a situation that is impossible to diagnose with the vague details provided.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

if locked up crack the bleeder and see if it frees up .
if so then hydrolock problem; hose ,line ,valve
if still stuck; bad caliper ect.