Leaf spring talk

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Winter Park
State: FL

Leaf spring talk

Post by Volksnut »

So...I have a newly acquired '63 D100, it's already been lowered and looks good but the front leaf springs are down to 2 leafs and de arched upward, this can't be right? So my question is how is everyone else lowering there straight axle, springs, flipping the axle on top or sending the axle off to get bent?
Attachments
arrival2.jpeg
arrival3.jpeg

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: Leaf spring talk

Post by Series1Utiline »

Even the factory correct spring packs don't have a great deal of arch to them.

I sent my axle out for an additional 3" drop. You will notice that the factory main leaf has one spring eye bent upward and the other bent downward. I had new main leafs made and had both eyes bent downward. Since my truck is a D100 and came with a slant-6/3 speed, a 4 leaf spring pack was original. However I changed to a Poly 318 at the same time and then added a 5th leaf. Before adding the 5th leaf, the front suspension was far too soft. The ride height is exactly what I wanted, not too low but noticeably lower than stock.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

My 66 D100 got lowered by installing a 5.9 Cummins 12 valve :lol:

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:44 pm
My 66 D100 got lowered by installing a 5.9 Cummins 12 valve :lol:
Thats not fair

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Even the factory correct spring packs don't have a great deal of arch to them.

I sent my axle out for an additional 3" drop. You will notice that the factory main leaf has one spring eye bent upward and the other bent downward. I had new main leafs made and had both eyes bent downward. Since my truck is a D100 and came with a slant-6/3 speed, a 4 leaf spring pack was original. However I changed to a Poly 318 at the same time and then added a 5th leaf. Before adding the 5th leaf, the front suspension was far too soft. The ride height is exactly what I wanted, not too low but noticeably lower than stock.

Yes I noticed 1 eye up and one down, but of course these are installed one side up and one side down in front shackle...what is the proper way? I've heard front is down rear is up? You can see in the grass the extra leafs

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach

Post by johnah »

On my 1970 d100 I went with Nostalgia Sid's Drop axle, 3" drop. I was able to pick it up from a member that had it installed on a 1964. He wanted a more modern set up so he went with the Gerst suspension https://gerstsuspensions.com/. First i used my original springs with the drop and that wasn't enough drop so i installed the ones from the 1964 with 4 springs. way to soft but I liked the way it set. Finally ordered a set from Eaton spring https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ original 5 spring pack with a 1" drop and my ride height and quality are just where i want it. Now if your counting $$ none of this is on the cheap. For the money Gerts looks like a good investment if you want to get down and dirty on handling and stopping these old trucks.

Keep in mind when drop the straight axle you'll have bump steer so the drag link will need to be made level by bending the steering arm. You may already have experienced this with your 2 leaf set up.
Until then swept on ; john
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

I'm going to add another leaf spring to the pack and install a taller tire, it presently has a 235/60-15 (26") in the front with a 275/60-15 (28") in the rear and to me it looks weird, kind of nose diving. So i'm thinking of grabbing a pair of 235/70-15 (28") and install those (same height as rear) so this should help.....The truck doesn't have to be that low, just want the right look.

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

johnah wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Keep in mind when drop the straight axle you'll have bump steer so the drag link will need to be made level by bending the steering arm. You may already have experienced this with your 2 leaf set up.
This is with the wheels straight ahead
Attachments
20200828_173232.jpeg

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Volksnut wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 am
johnah wrote:

You should check the scrub line. It looks dangerous the way it is sitting now.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Is your pitman arm too long? One from a W truck would be about 1.5 inch shorter. If that is your issue?
Is that thing sitting on its drums? Wow.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Volksnut wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 am
johnah wrote:

That looks kind of dangerous. :pale

John

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

So is Eaton spring the only manufacturer that builds a 3 " lower spring for our truck?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Volksnut wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:18 am
So is Eaton spring the only manufacturer that builds a 3 " lower spring for our truck?
No, last I checked there are three. https://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewto ... 30#p305730
No guarantees withthe damage done by COVID shutdowns.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

So here it is with the W pitman arm and weight on axle.
Attachments
20201219_130710.jpg