Power steering valve link end ball joint; serviceable... should it wiggle?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jacqueskruseo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Garden City
State: MI

Power steering valve link end ball joint; serviceable... should it wiggle?

Post by jacqueskruseo »

So I'm doing a mock up on the pump/valve/cylinder and hoses. After located the missing P/S pump bracket, I noticed on the valve, the link end that goes to the knuckle, thats under the cover the ball is nice and tight in the link end. But.....the post that has the threads is actually a little wiggly in the ball itself. Normal, worn, STOP!?!?

Just wondering if I can still test it all out before sending these out for a rebuild. The bottom of the link end appears to have a seal cap pressed in, or I'm totally wrong and it's not a serviceable piece.

I think my truck already had P/S but it was removed as the bracket in the fender was already there, and the cylinder arm mount was present. Plus a little "foot print" in the undercoating where the hoses were.

Thanks for the pointers folks!

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: Power steering valve link end ball joint; serviceable... should it wiggle?

Post by Kaegi »

there are places that rebuild tie rod ends and ball joints. I dont have any names anymore but a little searching you may find them. Last one I remember was in Portland Oregon

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Power steering valve link end ball joint; serviceable... should it wiggle?

Post by Wildergarten »

jacqueskruseo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Just wondering if I can still test it all out before sending these out for a rebuild. The bottom of the link end appears to have a seal cap pressed in, or I'm totally wrong and it's not a serviceable piece.
I'd try Rare Parts. https://shop.rareparts.com/
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org