Hub / Front Axle Question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Hub / Front Axle Question

Post by Brudog »

And my other question for my 68 Dodge W200 Crew that is in the shop right now for a few small repairs / improvements:

When they went over it after putting it up on a lift and taking the wheels off, they mentioned that there was some play in the axle-hub area of the front. They stated it was something that doesn't need to be addressed immediately, but in the future it would be good to take care of. It wasn't explained very well to me, and I am not a mechanic or very familiar with the front axle components on the W200, so I do not know too much about that and what may be causing it or what would need replaced. It is a closed knuckle dana 44 if I recall correctly.

Do any of you have an idea of what they might be describing and what is needed to fix it? :thinking

I probably need to go to the shop so they can show me, but that doesn't mean I would know what it is - I would just be able to describe it a little better than after what they were saying to me on the phone. And yes, I am looking to take some classes at the local community college so I can learn a little bit more about my vehicles. :study Just have to wait until the pandemic is over... :banghead

Just checking to see what info you may be able to relay so I am a little more edumacated about this. Thanks in advance.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Hub / Front Axle Question

Post by dodgeboykim »

Start of by getting yourself a factory service manual to show exploded view of knuckle area. Identify whether a 3000 lb small knuckle or a 3500 lb large knuckle. I suspect it may be the large knuckle.. Parts can be bought from Vintage Power Wagons or possibly TorqueKing 4x4. It may just need a shim adjustment to tighten up or possibly new parts. They are generally very easy to take apart (excluding massive rust and corrosion) and require no special tools other than socket for hub nuts.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Post by Brudog »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:27 pm
Start of by getting yourself a factory service manual to show exploded view of knuckle area. Identify whether a 3000 lb small knuckle or a 3500 lb large knuckle. I suspect it may be the large knuckle.. Parts can be bought from Vintage Power Wagons or possibly TorqueKing 4x4. It may just need a shim adjustment to tighten up or possibly new parts. They are generally very easy to take apart (excluding massive rust and corrosion) and require no special tools other than socket for hub nuts.
I know I have the 44HD. Just wasn't sure what gets adjusted / replaced in this case. Thanks for the info! :salut

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Brudog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:44 pm
I know I have the 44HD. Just wasn't sure what gets adjusted / replaced in this case. Thanks for the info! :salut
Just be sure the bronze bushings on the top side aren't worn too eccentrically or the steering will bind putting all kinds of outrageous loads on the components.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org