One More CPP Steering Problem

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

One More CPP Steering Problem

Post by aqmet »

I just had a CPP power steering system installed on my 64 D100 Town Wagon. I used all CPP parts, box, pump, hoses and brackets. All the parts seem to fit OK and with no leaks, the belt is tight and there is no visible air in the fluid. When the front wheels are off the ground it steers with just one figure. The problem is when the wheels are on the ground the steering is erratic, it will stick, then break free causing the steering wheel spin hard.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Mike
1964 D100 - Town Wagon 318 NP435
1964 D100 - Town Panel /6 A745

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: One More CPP Steering Problem

Post by my5thmopar »

aqmet wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:29 pm
I just had a CPP power steering system installed on my 64 D100 Town Wagon. I used all CPP parts, box, pump, hoses and brackets. All the parts seem to fit OK and with no leaks, the belt is tight and there is no visible air in the fluid. When the front wheels are off the ground it steers with just one figure. The problem is when the wheels are on the ground the steering is erratic, it will stick, then break free causing the steering wheel spin hard.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Mike
I have the CPP on my 64. You say had installed? Take it back. My first guess would have been air in the system. Lift the front wheels again so pressure is on the suspension. You might have done it that way but, just saying. Move it from full lock to full lock 10-15 times. Look in the pump and make sure it is flowing good. Also, there might be a joint ungreased or too tight causing binding. Check the steering box through and on the outside of the frame that it isn't rubbing. The pitman arm can be close with that setup and rubbing on the frame. That's all I have. Craig

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Post by JLeather »

Any noticeable change in engine RPM or the sound from the steering pump when it sticks/breaks free? Is it better if you steer very slowly vs. trying to turn the wheel quickly? It could be that your pump is not keeping up with the flow demand. About 1/4 down the page on this link it discusses a similar issue (http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... eringmods/). Look at "Low Idle Flow Modification" and possibly discuss this with the installer and/or pump supplier. I opened mine up as described in the article because I found that when I turned the wheel slowly my steering worked fine, but turning it abruptly would cause a temporary loss of power assist.

aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

Post by aqmet »

Well the problem with steering sticking then suddenly breaking free has been resolved. I called CPP and they thought it was most likely due to the steering box input shaft binding. After loosening the steering column mount at the firewall and realigning the steering column to the steering box input shaft, I took it on a 60 mile shakedown ride and it all works great, smooth lock to lock and I can turn it with one finger.

Thanks to those that provided suggestions.

Mike
1964 D100 - Town Wagon 318 NP435
1964 D100 - Town Panel /6 A745

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

:clap :clap :clap
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

Curious if any of you who have made the change over to the CPP box have noticed any "slop" or "play" in the steering? I have everything new in my steering system from the tires up to and including the rag joint/coupler and still have what seems like excess play in the system. Honestly, the only assembly I've not touched is the steering column. I've made an adjustment on the steering box adjuster screw and that helped but did not eliminate the issue. I was expecting a lot better than what I have. Any tips or suggestions f rom those of you who have made this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S1U

tkeith
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antonio
State: TX

Post by tkeith »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Curious if any of you who have made the change over to the CPP box have noticed any "slop" or "play" in the steering? I have everything new in my steering system from the tires up to and including the rag joint/coupler and still have what seems like excess play in the system. Honestly, the only assembly I've not touched is the steering column. I've made an adjustment on the steering box adjuster screw and that helped but did not eliminate the issue. I was expecting a lot better than what I have. Any tips or suggestions f rom those of you who have made this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S1U
What size tires are you using? I don't have any suggestions.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

235-50-15s on a 7" wheel. Nothing crazy. Yes, this is an odd one to me. I'm going to mess around with a steering stabilizer to see what that might gain me in terms of a way to manage the remaining slop.

- EM