Blown Wheel Cylinders

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Woodstock
State: IL

Blown Wheel Cylinders

Post by drtkwsk13 »

Well guys I gotta a another question. I recently just completed my rear brakes (pads, springs, clips cylinders etc...). After completing them I was bleeding them with a buddy when my pedal went to the floor. Turns out the rear left must have blown a seal because the brake fluid was coming from the wheel cylinder. I chalked it up to a cheap cylinder (centric $6.80). Installed another one last night, bled the brakes again and went for a ride. Everything was great, after the truck sitting outside I went to pull it in. The pedal went to the floor again!!! This time the rear right cylinder (also a centric one) had blown a seal! Any ideas why this is happening? 1968 D200.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: Blown Wheel Cylinders

Post by Kaegi »

answer is "Made in China" maybe full of rocks right out of the box? I have heard of that lol

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by dynamutt »

hmm. Id disassemble it and examine the rubber cup and the finish on the bore..... made in China? might well be the rubber used for the cup isnt compatable w/ brake fluid.... or is just not up to spec.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

Is Centric a brand name ? Where did you buy them, so that I can avoid the same issue ?
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

cudaboy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 am
Is Centric a brand name ? Where did you buy them, so that I can avoid the same issue ?
Yes. They suck.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drtkwsk13 »

cudaboy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 am
I found them on rock auto, ended up buying Raybestos ones. Will be bleeding them and testing them this week. Would think I shouldn’t have problems. On a side note, my master cylinder has 2 reservoirs I would assume front and back? When my cylinder blew should I still have breaks up front? Thanks

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Yes, the dual m/c is so u have brakes when one side fails. Front reservoir on the master is for the rear brakes.

drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drtkwsk13 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am
Yes, the dual m/c is so u have brakes when one side fails. Front reservoir on the master is for the rear brakes.
That’s what I thought, however I did not... how could I check why I loose all my brakes if I have a leak?