End link bushings... simple job

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

End link bushings... simple job

Post by WD »

Energy Suspension 9.8107 hourglass shock bushings.

Take the tire/wheel off.

2-3 days before starting, saturate the end link hardware with REAL penetrating oil. Wire brush bolt ends clean.

3/4” heads, bolt AND self locking nut.

Spin the nuts off, tap the bolt end. Watch where it bounces off to. The nut and washer will also try to run away.

Run a 3/16” drill bit through the rubber bushing 4 or so places. Set a socket on the rubber, give it a couple good hits. Outer sleeve stays in the link, leave it in place for reuse. Slice the rubber, insert bushing will pop out. You will reuse it. Lightly lube the new poly insert, tap into link eye, eyeball centered is fine. Lube up inner sleeve, thumb pressure will slide it in. Grease your original bolts, which should still be in their holes. Tap the link back in place, tighten the hardware. You can’t physically over tighten it with hand tools, the steel inner bushing is a travel limiter. Put the tire back on the truck. Do the other side the same way. Takes about 30 minutes per side with your dog “helping” by being leashed to your off hand.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: End link bushings... simple job

Post by WD »

Check your spring hangers while under there. If your truck is like mine... front spring eyes are tight to the frame. Dead springs. Was not expecting that, my 49 sits perfectly even without shocks...

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: End link bushings... simple job

Post by WD »

Saturate your springs and hangers with PB or Kroil... mine are working again. Front end came back to stock ride height. Humidity + old trucks = rust stuck.