IFS ride height???

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
74dusterman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cushing
State: MN

IFS ride height???

Post by 74dusterman »

I have searched and read a lot of the builds on here about the different IFS swaps. The IFS kit from Uncle Jimmy looks like a pain in the butt. I am trying to decide if I want to swap the front frame from a 80's D150 into my truck or do the CV swap. If I do the CV swap is there a way to set the ride height at the desired height I want? Can anyone that has done the CV swap tell me what the ride height is in the front once it is all done? If I use the frame from the 80's D150 then I have options with drop spindles, A arms, and different springs. My truck is a 67 D200 camper special. I want to convert to 5 bolt pattern because there aren't many options for 8 bolt wheels. I will convert the dana 60 to 5 bolt also and flip the spring perches. I like the simplicity of the CV swap and would like to go this route but I don't want my truck hugging the ground either, I just want to drop it 2-3 inches. Are there any issues with headder clearance when putting full length headders in with the CV cross member? If I missed a build showing all of the answers to my questions I apologize, can you please direct me to the link? Thanks for the help.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Re: IFS ride height???

Post by Drummerdad »

Not familiar with the CV swap, but, yes the uncle jimmys IFS is a pain. I dont recommend it. I looked into the dana 5 lug conversion and didnt see a lot of options, so I kept the 8-3/4. I used the frame from a 67 d200 camper special. Still have the dana in the back yard.

Sorry if this is useless information. Hope it helps.

74dusterman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cushing
State: MN

Post by 74dusterman »

I read thru all of your build posts and that definitely looks like a pain in the butt. To convert the dana 60 to 5 bolt you have to cut the ends of the axle tubes off and weld on new flanges. Not an easy job either but way cheaper than buying a dana 60 out of an E body or B body. From what I can find in the searches I have done, the CV swap is fairly simple. I just wish I knew the ride height so I could figure out my plan for the rear end at the same time.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

I've seen a lot of those CV's installed......and I'm not to crazy about the frame hacking required to do it, JMO.
The Carl Gerst setup is pretty nice and I know at least one guy who did it and he is real happy with it, but it's not a cheap setup.

I did the 72-93 IFS in my 69 and it requires some work/modification and a lot of measuring, aside from the column modifications needed, it's a pretty straight forward install. It will give you a good 3" drop from stock height, but not too low either. Puts a nice rake with stock rear height. The best part is, it's all truck and not a passenger car design :Thumbsup

These two links shows just about my whole build from start to finish on all the major modification. I did some extra modifications for the column and power brakes, but it would not be required to do.
Any questions, feel free to ask.

http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.php?2,12455

http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.php?2,12136
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab