New Guy - Power Steering Help!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Woodstock
State: IL

New Guy - Power Steering Help!

Post by drtkwsk13 »

Hi All! Im a new Sweptline owner. Just bought a 1968 D200 from a guy in California and it arrived just over a week ago. It wasn't running when i got it and since have been able to get it running and take it for its first test drive around the block. I noticed the steering is very sloppy and the truck wonders a good amount. Ive done some research and will look into the suggestions of checking for ware on the steering components and adjusting the gearbox. However, i just realized my truck has power steering! (should it work properly) I opened the cap on the pump and can see down a few inches but do not see any fluid. Is it safe to say i should start by adding fluid to the pump? Could this be the cause for my poor steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New Guy - Power Steering Help!

Post by Hobcobble »

Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa You can try filling the P/S pump to see
if it makes it any better.... just make sure to look underneath the truck at
the P/S ram cylinder and hoses.... as you might see some leakage. These
power assisted steering set ups didn't survive the element of time all that
great and are prone to leaky hoses/ram cylinders. Wandering can also be caused
by worn king pins, a worn drag link, worn tie rod ends and a worn/improperly
adjusted steering box or a combination of any of these. Some guys wind up
converting their trucks back to manual steering which isn't difficult at all if
you have the manual steering pitman arm and drag link. The axle shims would
have to be removed as well.

John

drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drtkwsk13 »

Thank you! I will try adding fluid and inspect for leaks to start. I purchased a Chilton manual but it has generic info on this subject. Basically it says the fluid level should be about 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" away from the top of the filler tube when cold.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I wouldn't think lack of fluid would cause steering wander, unless it has to do with the way the axle is shimmed. Hobcobble mentioned many of the likely things to check for wear.

I have family down the road from you in Cary, IL.

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Post by JLeather »

With the factory power steering style if you don't have any fluid it's like having an inch of slop in the drag link. The fluid pressure holds the steering piston centered in the steering valve in the middle of the drag link. The factory setup has a lot of leak points (6 hoses, steering valve, cylinder, etc). Clean everything and see where yours is leaking.

drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drtkwsk13 »

JLeather wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:59 am
With the factory power steering style if you don't have any fluid it's like having an inch of slop in the drag link. The fluid pressure holds the steering piston centered in the steering valve in the middle of the drag link. The factory setup has a lot of leak points (6 hoses, steering valve, cylinder, etc). Clean everything and see where yours is leaking.
Thanks! I have already ordered new tie rod ends and king pins. I am also going to have the cylinder and valve rebuilt. I will most likely have some new hoses made as i will already have it taken apart. I think this will be a good start to see if it helps.

drtkwsk13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drtkwsk13 »

Well, I finally got my front end and power steering system hooked back up. With the front end lifted and truck off I filled the pump with the wheels centered, and turned lock to lock 20+ times. I then lowered, started and did the same thing with the truck running. It turns great to the right but am still having a hard time turning left. Is this a control valve issue? Could there be air in the hose?