Opinions on 64 D100 front suspension and brakes, stock vs Gerst

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hillsidehemi
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: STOUGHTON
State: WI

Opinions on 64 D100 front suspension and brakes, stock vs Gerst

Post by hillsidehemi »

I have a recently purchased 64 D100. 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. It is now drive able but is far from a cruiser. Now that I have put a couple of miles on it I know the steering box needs rebuilt, kingpins, brakes, leafs and really everything up front needs to be replaced as it wanders a lot on the road and stopping is an adventure. In the future I would like to drive this truck a lot, including an annual 800 mile round trip on the interstate, so I've been doing a lot of research on front suspension options. Would I be happy with a total rebuild of the stock system for a interstate trip? This would include all stock suspension, springs, kingpins, etc along with Scarebird disc kit. Option number 2 would be the Gerst suspension upgrade as this would get me everything up front and would drive more like a modern truck? Price is definitely something to consider but I'm thinking with replacing everything stock that would add up a lot toward the purchase price of the Gerst system. I don't think I'm really wanting the Crown Vic conversion as that work and welding is out of my skill set. Opinions wanted as to whether you think it will drive and handle better with a stock rebuild or just go with the Gerst. Thanks in advance.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Opinions on 64 D100 front suspension and brakes, stock vs Gerst

Post by Hobcobble »

Welcome to the site! :welcome :Thumbsup :usa
I would think that if you replaced the spring bushings, tie rod ends, king pins, drag
link, rag joint and had the steering box rebuilt, you'd have a truck that would be decent on
road trips. :2cents

John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I don't know of anyone here who has used the Gerst suspension you speak of. These trucks don't drive bad when everything is in good condition but it'll cost quite a bit to rebuild using stock components. Very few trucks came from the factory with power steering and it was just a power assist. If you want it you'll probably have to go aftermarket anyway or try rebuilding a factory system that may not produce the desired drivability. There are also disc brake and power steering conversions for the stock axle.

I weighed rebuilding stock vs. IFS and decided to do a full frame swap because I had no welding equipment and never tackled a project like that, plus I wanted to add power steering and disc brakes. The body didn't fit the newer frame well enough, so I ended up having somebody else splice my frame with a 77 D150 front clip. I think I have less into it than rebuilding stock plus adding disc brakes and power steering. The donor truck had 70,000 miles so components are still in good condition.

hillsidehemi
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hillsidehemi »

I see this was listed as my first post, I've actually been around since the early 2000's when I had a 71 D100. A long time in between and now the 1964. Don't know what happened to my other posts from the old days. I don't remember the 71 being that difficult to drive so I guess I'm looking for a little verification that repairing the original will give me satisfactory results. The Gerst suspension system that I'm finding (mostly on facebook) looks to be very doable with my skill set. Looks to be around the $4000 range for that. Price of stock new springs, kingpins, disc brakes, steering box and other components will certainly add up, but not likely $4000. And as stated stock will not include power steering and the Gerst suspension will. Thanks for the replies.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There was no problem driving them when they came from the factory new, so why would there be any problem now, if rebuilt to new specs? (other than the fact that the new generations are soft, girlie men?)

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

My bone stock 66 d-100 drove great down the highway. Several times across the country with not one issue. Fixing all the bits adds up but I think it is worth it. I never missed power steering or brakes . These trucks are not the same as a new truck but can and do work perfectly if gone through!
jim

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

My '67 shorty has new front end components, rebuilt steering box/rag joint,scarebird disc.'s. Still drives like a truck but tight and straight. I have a complete after market CPP power steering set up but still hesitant about installing.I am switching back to 235/75/15 tires from a larger ,wider tire, so steering is not a problem with the new parts and well lubed. The Gerst set-up appears to be very nice and user friendly, but pretty pricey . :2cents . Guess it depends on your end goal.Good luck with truck...love the 4 eye's. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

hillsidehemi
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hillsidehemi »

Thanks for all the input, I know its not a new truck but my main goal was to drive down the interstate at 70mph and it appears that a rebuild of the stock parts will do that. Power brakes and steering are not mandatory, I just don't want to wander all over with every rut in the road. I will start getting my parts list in order.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston

Post by Txas2step »

hillsidehemi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am
Thanks for all the input, I know its not a new truck but my main goal was to drive down the interstate at 70mph and it appears that a rebuild of the stock parts will do that. Power brakes and steering are not mandatory, I just don't want to wander all over with every rut in the road. I will start getting my parts list in order.
I think you will be happy with that plan. Bud Thorp is an excellent source to rebuild your steering box. :2cents :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

I've also been thinking about the Gerst front suspension as to going through redoing the complete front end. Power steering is what I would want most. Don't really care if I have power brakes or not. I don't have the skills to do some of rebuilding the old front suspension so I can't come up with how much it would cost me to have done to compare it with the Gerst. I still haven't read about an aftermarket power steering that all have something good to say about. I drive my truck on the freeway so all is ok for me now. My truck will be my daily driver when completed. I have plenty else to do for now so it will just be something for me to debate. Good luck with whatever route you take

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by Peero »

hillsidehemi wrote:
...main goal was to drive down the interstate at 70mph...
I'd strongly suggets to give it 8 degree shims between axle and Leaf springs that will give you 8° caster and a pleasant and straight drive!
I've just pushed my 65 short bed with new king pins, W100 leaf springs up front, Scarebirds, CPP Power Steering and red Koni Shocks
to 100mph and it was still pleasant to drive for a truck old like this.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin

Post by Conrad »

Peero wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 am
hillsidehemi wrote:
...main goal was to drive down the interstate at 70mph...
I'd strongly suggets to give it 8 degree shims between axle and Leaf springs that will give you 8° caster and a pleasant and straight drive!
I've just pushed my 65 short bed with new king pins, W100 leaf springs up front, Scarebirds, CPP Power Steering and red Koni Shocks
to 100mph and it was still pleasant to drive for a truck old like this.
That is a very ball-sy claim! :Thumbsup :lol: I just hope that at some point when I get everything figured out that I can see that for myself! (Now going to look for what Koni shock fits our application.)

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ive had this truck at 100 more than once!
http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegis ... /truck.jpg
And a W100, W200 and D100 too!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

There is an article in Canadian Hot Rods magazine Dec/Jan issue, where they install a Gerst bolt in suspension on their 70 D100 shop truck. It seems they do an install feature on the truck in every issue, but I haven't seen it before now.

brucer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 59443
State: MT

Post by brucer »

I lowered my 66 1/2t using stock springs and axle. moved steering box to front of frame, had toe set, using 16" wheels and tires it was one handed drive. have 22" on it now and it wanders a little but goes straight.