Tie Rod Help PLEASE!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
LiquiDGD
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Tie Rod Help PLEASE!

Post by LiquiDGD »

SO I have a (very bent) stock tie rod/center link that takes tie rods es140R and both ends are RIGHT hand threaded. I went to the local yard and got a "new" center link (tie rod connecting sleeve) from a 63-65 truck. The problem now is that one end is LEFT hand threaded. The guys at Moog basically blew me off... BUT gave me a discontinued part number anyway. They suggested a se288L SO the question is does anyone know where to get the left handed tie rod from another company that isn't discontinued...??? Any help is appreciated.

Otherwise the truck is running great shes a '65 with the 225 and 3 on the tree... I went to replace the brakes with a Scarebird kit and replace steering stuff... this is where I am stuck so far. Brakes are still in the mail :-)

R

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: Tie Rod Help PLEASE!

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Andy

LiquiDGD
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LiquiDGD »

pismopowerwagon wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 am
How about this one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Tie-R ... Sw~XpZSmzl
That is the one I ended up getting but I have no idea if it will end up fitting, I assume so but this part also seems discontinued. If it works ill buy another one but these SE288L are going to get harder and harder to find. I was hoping someone said f**k it and found another "standard" tie rod end that would work. Im going to get over to some local old school Dodge guys soon and see what they think about a few upgrades (that are out of my league) and see if they have any tie rod suggestions.

Someone has to have looked into this before me... I will post a little something once she is all back together, with part numbers.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

LiquiDGD wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 pm
pismopowerwagon wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 am
How about this one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Tie-R ... Sw~XpZSmzl
That is the one I ended up getting but I have no idea if it will end up fitting, I assume so but this part also seems discontinued. If it works ill buy another one but these SE288L are going to get harder and harder to find. I was hoping someone said f**k it and found another "standard" tie rod end that would work. Im going to get over to some local old school Dodge guys soon and see what they think about a few upgrades (that are out of my league) and see if they have any tie rod suggestions.

Someone has to have looked into this before me... I will post a little something once she is all back together, with part numbers.

ES288L not SE288L, you will always have a hard time finding a SE288L :lol: . I hope you get it figured out :Thumbsup .
Andy

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

I don't remember seeing it before, but rock auto lists Dorman part#532242 for the left outer and #534252 for the right outer, with both in stock. (63 D100 5.2l)

Of course Dorman tie rod ends....

The cross-reference guides lists the right outer (ES410R - the easy to find one) common with all Jeep CJ. All Jeep CJ tie rod knuckle tapers are common. CJ's list ES410R for the LEFT outer side and ES62L as the RIGHT outer. The ES62l is 11/16-18 LH thread The ES410R is 11/16-18 RH thread.

Taper for both is listed as 7 degrees with ES62l having a taper section starts at 0.01" larger diameter and is 0.04" longer.

For the price it might be worth a try.

Interestingly, Speedway motors sells these ends as 58-64 Ford 1/2 ton 2wd tie rod ends (for $10 a piece), but Rock auto lists a different P/N...

NOTE: I have NOT tried any of these interchanges myself. Just providing an option based on cross references and taper specifications provided by various manufactures. Good luck!!!
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

LiquiDGD wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Someone has to have looked into this before me...
Yup. I'd try WFO Concepts (http://www.wfoconcepts.com/). Ask for Trevor.
If nobody else has it, Rare Parts can make it. (rareparts.com)
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

LiquiDGD
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LiquiDGD »

Thanks for the input! I'm going to look into it more, I sure dont like paying 45 dollars for a tie rod off ebay, from Autozone.... Though it fit perfect! I ended up using the se288L and an es140R. She is back on the road and feeling better than ever with a new drag link (MOOG DS653) and toe actually adjusted. Hopefully i can get the worm gear out sooner than later. :dance

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

LiquiDGD wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 pm
Thanks for the input! I'm going to look into it more, I sure dont like paying 45 dollars for a tie rod off ebay, from Autozone.... Though it fit perfect! I ended up using the se288L and an es140R. She is back on the road and feeling better than ever with a new drag link (MOOG DS653) and toe actually adjusted. Hopefully i can get the worm gear out sooner than later. :dance
Bud Thorp rebuilds steering boxes to Factory Specifications. :idea :2cents :Thumbsup

John

classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: lititz
State: PA

Post by classiclvr »

Rockauto lists the left side as Dorman #532242 with only 5 available @ $28.79. Rare parts also has one available. Part# 25240.
Around $85 for that one.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

Thanks for listing the interchanges. It may be worth more investigation for the future - as I'm sure Jeep parts will continue to be more popular/available. :Thumbsup

TKfromZA
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johannesburg
State: Foreign

Post by TKfromZA »

As an aside... Due to the severe lack of spareparts in my neck of the woods, I found that the old Land Rover Defender outer tie rods works as well with some minor mods to the centre link.