brake hose issue

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

brake hose issue

Post by fireguyfire »

fully restoring my 1970 d100 and have the rolling chassis just about completely reassembled.
I am changing out al the rubber brake hoses as a matter of course. I have the frame now back on the wheels, and the front is riding a bit high of course because there is no engine weight on it; went to connect the new front brake hoses to the hole in the frame to complete the brake install and found they wouldnt reach; even with the weight of the engine they would be borderline for length to the hole in the frame where they meet the steel line. I compared the new hoses to the old ones (which I kept) and the old hoses are about 2" longer than the new ones. I phoned NAPA and the part number on the new hoses is listed as correct for 1970 front brakes on d100, d200, and d300 trucks. Also the Raybestos number is the same and recommends these same new front brake hoses.
Does anyone have any ideas why these recommended front brakes hoses are 2" shorter than my originals and will not work? The wheel cylinders are new and facing the correct direction, even though if you reversed them the new hoses still wouldnt reach.
Obviously I cant have the hoses that short as they might tear off if the suspension went to full extension like if you got a bit of air with the front end.
i do not have the front shocks mounted yet, but that shouldnt matter as the old hose is 2" longer than the new.

stumblinhorse
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elbert County
State: CO

Re: brake hose issue

Post by stumblinhorse »

I bought these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EP11GG For my 69 d100. Identical to ones I took off.
1969 D100 LWB 318 np435
2001 2500 SWB 5.9 Cummins nv5600
2016 3500 SWB 6.7 Cummins 68RFE

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

That’s the hose I have but it’s short; it’s guitar string tight if I mount it through the frame

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

the new hoses are too short because their computer is wrong on the listing. And they are not smart enough to go to the books.

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

So what’s the solution in finding a correct length front brake hoses; does anyone have a part number?

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Have you considered that the old ones are 2inch longer than stock? Maybe the ones you have are correct and will be ok once the springs are loaded. I just replaced one on my 70 D200 and actually took the Centric off my 64 d100. Here ya go,

NAPA-Part # : UP 36669 Product Line : NAPA Ultra Premium Brake Parts 19.25 inches.

CENTRIC 15067086 {#H36669} Info Front
WAGNER BH73263 {#F73263, H36669} Washers Not Included Info Front
RAYBESTOS BH36669 {#H36669} Professional Grade Info Front; Front Drum Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes

Oreilly- BrakeBest Hardware & Hydraulics Brake Hose Part #: BH36669 Line: BHH

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

That’s exactly the lines I have; I guess maybe once the springs are loaded up the will be ok?

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

that doesn't sound right... if you hit a huge pothole and unload the axle you'll strain the line ??

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

That is correct

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

pm sent

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GMAN69 »

Did someone lift the truck at some point. That could explain longer lines.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

fireguyfire wrote:So what’s the solution in finding a correct length front brake hoses; does anyone have a part number?

Order hoses for a 66 W100/200. Taller truck. Things I have learned owning my 66 W100 is what will work from different years. In my case when I replaced front hoses one time 35 years ago the Parts guy and myself sourced lines from a catalog using my measurements as I wanted some slightly longer hoses.
Be creative. :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.