Leaf Spring Front Axle to the Max VS IFS

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Leaf Spring Front Axle to the Max VS IFS

Post by Peero »

Hello,

I'm still waiting to collect my Sweptline just before Xmas at the port in the Netherlands.
It will get a healthy 440RB and needs definitely some beefed up front axle.

I don't like the idea to cut or weld on the original frame. IF I would do so the Crown Vic would the way to go even
from budget. Comparing to this I was wondering bringing the old leaf spring design to the max:

Power Disc Brakes (Scarebirds), taking off some leafs to bring it to the ground and adding Coil over Shocks,
4 degrees Leaf Spring Shims to get more caster for good straight driving and the Dodge Omni R&P Steering
(whether mounted to the acle or the frame).

Anyone has gone that far with the old leaf spring design? Are you pleased with the result?
What do you guys think?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: Leaf Spring Front Axle to the Max VS IFS

Post by earlymopar »

Like many members, I chose to keep my dropped axle but had it dropped further (3") by Sid's. I also had a new main leaf made that reversed one of the eyes so both are pointing down. Between these 2 changes I ended up with a roughly 5" drop. My truck had a 4-leaf spring pack given it was a slant 6 D100. I also have the scarebird brakes. Everything worked out well and with a rebuild of the king pins it drives great. Personally I never wanted an independent front suspension and wanted so retained the drop axle.

- EM

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

I forgot to comment on using coil over shocks. IF you keep the current shock mounts and shock locations, there is no room for coil overs. In reality, the existing tube shocks are pretty close to other pieces, especially in a turn. You would have to move the mounts for coil over shocks inboard. I have been down that road with my 65 Series I Utiline. The nice thing about coil overs (double-adjustable) is that you can control ride height but it's a little more work than you may have envisioned.

- EM

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by Peero »

OK thanx for pointing me out the Coil Over space thing....I saw this mentioned in a Facebook Group that someone managed to to so.
I will have a close lokk once the truck is here.