rims

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: rims

Post by MadMC63 »

Don't know if this will be anymore helpful. The first is page 22-1 rev. 19A3220B illustration page from the 69 - 71 parts catalog and the second is the text page 22-1 that shows part numbers and applications. It clearly says to see illustration 19A3320-- which I don't have-- before ordering soooo... still unanswered questions.
Top to bottom left to right: 2909785=D100, 2909784=D100, 2907979=D100 Fargo, 2907978= D100 Fargo, 2944089=D100, 2961331 or 3496289=D100, 2831114= don't know, 2826211=don't know, 2910412= D200 Fargo, 2910413= D200 Fargo, 2909789= D200, 2909788= D200 and the last five are 15" wheel covers.
Wheel Covers.jpg
parts book 22-1.jpg
parts book 22-1.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but I did finally realize that based on available info you're down to two choices on style 1st, 2909785 painted or 2909784 chrome -which would be like the ones for sale on craigslist - and 2nd, 2944089 chrome or 2961331/3496289 painted - which would be the ones that are being reproduced. Of the two choices I think the 2909784 chrome would be uber cool looking.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Post by fireguyfire »

So my steel rims will need to be sandblasted, and either painted or powder coated white; I haven’t decided which yet.
What sheen of paint was used on the factory steel rims? I’m guessing a semi gloss but am looking for opinions!

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario

Post by reallylongnickname »

Wondering if Dodge ever came out with a rim that replaces the rim with the deadly retainer ring?

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

deadly retainer ring?????? Lock ring wheels are only deadly in the hands of someone who knows nothing about them. They are still used today on semis and medium duty trucks. I have them on 2 of my trucks currently. Never had an issue with them. If you are looking for tubeless wheels, what year and model is your truck?

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

You would know more. I have 68 W300 one ton.
It's my understanding that the the lock rings can come flying off if the gap is too large. There are specs for gap.
I don't recall whatit is, 5/8ths or something
They've come off and kill or have taken off limbs

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Also can come off uncontrollable if under inflated tire so I'm told.
I was under the impression that it would be good idea to have these rims replaced

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by powerwagon54 »

again, they are only dangerous when in the hands of a tire man that knows nothing about them. If the ring is not seated correctly, why would you put air in it? Anyway, for the six lug 1 ton, they had 17.5 and 19.5 wheels. I may have some 17.5 wheels. I would need to look. I will get back to you.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by powerwagon54 »

pm sent

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I worked in a tire shop for a few years, lots of multiple piece rims out there. Why would any manufacturer use anything that could cost them money long term? Typically used in heavy duty applications. As previously stated… only dangerous in the hands of an oblivious, inexperienced person.
1971 Dodge D100

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

They have cages in heavy truck shops that they put them in when airing up. It sounds like it could be dangerous to anyone, otherwise there would be no need for a cage. I took some heavy duty truck tech classes and we were warned about these wheels potentially causing injury or death if the ring isn't seated properly.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Airing one up in a cage would scare the ever loving *#%^ out of u if it blew! :pale

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

When intending to replace tire, wheel is suppose to be put in a cage. Then the ring can be safely taken off.
Last edited by reallylongnickname on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

reallylongnickname wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 pm
When intending to replace tire, wheel is suppose to be put in a cage. Then the ring can be safely taken off
Actually, the cage is only needed when airing the tire up after installing the tire on the rim. Taking it apart is simple - let all the air out, then remove the ring. Nothing can go wrong when there is no air in it, not to mention the fact there is no way in hell you could ever get it apart with air in it, which would be an explosive screw up if u did manage to do it.

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

All I know is, people at garages (one being Chysler) have
told me about incidents that have taken place with split rims and lock rings coming off. To be more specific, at Chrysler, he said even leaning up against tire can trigger it to fly off.

MTO (which is your DOT) told me lock rims are not outlawed, but the gap needs to be within a specific range. Can't recall what was.

I should probably re-inquire about this with these folks l. It's been a while. All get back to you with reasons behind why Chysler shop saying this and also inquire again with DOT

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I've had split ring wheels on my '65 W200 for years with no problems.
I had split rings on my '71 W200 and '68 W100, both of which I used
to plow our lane for years. No problems with them either. :salut

John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is no such thing as a "gap spec".
There are multiple styles of split rims. Some with solid bead rings held in by a third retainer ring, split bead rings and another that the entire rim splits in half at the center. Ive mounted and dismounted tires on all of them for the last 40 yrs. There is nothing dangerous or unsafe about them if you know what you're doing and do it correctly. Sort of like chainsaws.....

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Everything is closed on weekend, but I will inquire about why I was told, gap specs.
On a different note, when I Googled, "split rims, lock rings" plenty of info and forum threads came up on discussions about lock rings flying off suddenly.
If anyone cares to read; https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/threa ... etCookie=1

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I believe fireguyfire has the wheel answers he was looking for. Now reallylongnickname seems to have anxiety of multi-piece rims. Unknowns can always make us uneasy. Knowledge and experience is power in this circumstance. The more exposure someone has to multi-piece rims the better the understanding. Anything is dangerous with the right circumstance. Trepidation or complacency are responcible most shop injuries.
1971 Dodge D100

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

reallylongnickname wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 am
On a different note, when I Googled, "split rims, lock rings" plenty of info and forum threads came up on discussions about lock rings flying off suddenly.
I think you've already talked yourself out of split ring wheels.
Perhaps it would be best to find yourself some one piece wheels
and enjoy driving your Sweptline. :Thumbsup :2cents

John