Power Assist Steering "Grab" issue

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Dphred
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Power Assist Steering "Grab" issue

Post by Dphred »

Hi everyone,

New to the group with a 1970 Camper Special I just picked up a few weeks ago.
My other is a 67 A108 van, so power assist steering is new to me.

I realize this topic has been covered quite a bit, but I couldn't quite find the answer in a search of this forum. Open to anyone pointing me in the right direction.

The steering feels basically good, with the exception of a slight "grab" on center or just slightly turning either direction. Most noticeable at highway speeds when taking a very slight turn and I feel some resistance followed by a sudden, slight oversteer in the same direction. Is this a steering box issue, or power assist issue? If it's power assist, wondering if this sounds typical and someone might suggest first place to address. The ram? Linkages? Pump? I know these aren't perfect systems even at top notch condition, but seems improvable.

I appreciate any help.

David in Portland, OR
'70 Camper Special 318
67 A108 318

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Power Assist Steering "Grab" issue

Post by Hobcobble »

Glad you stopped by the site! :welcome :Thumbsup :usa
I'm sure someone with this system in good operating condition
can help you out.
John

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Seems like you or someone else posted something about this issue already. The most obvious thing you can do is have someone else turn the wheels while you watch for any glaring or obvious issue. Check all the ends for play ( tie rod ends, drag link, steering link). Do all the basic test. Wheels on the ground turn the wheels in both directions watching for play in the front end parts. With the wheels off the ground put a jack handle or something under each tire and lift watching for play or movement in the kingpins or wheel bearings. Check the play in the steering gear box. Make sure all your lug nuts are tight. Eliminate the obvious. Sherlock Holmes it... " when you have eliminated the possible, the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

I had this happen on my `71 and it was the steering box, what happened is the bearing were dry and the cage that holds the bearing broke so the bearing would lock on each other like a clutch then release.
Andy