Another IFS thread... Please forgive me!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Marksman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Weatherford
State: TX

Another IFS thread... Please forgive me!

Post by Marksman »

Hey everyone, first post here. I know that there are a million threads out there on IFS swaps, and maybe the good threads are lost somewhere in that million, but I have yet to find a thread that actually resulted in a successful swap.

The only threads I have come across that have had a lot of good info were ones by Soopernaut. Initially I was wanting to do an entire frame swap, but quickly found out that would be a complete PITA because I don't want to raise my bed floor, nor do I want a flat bed to accommodate the frame.

Also, the threads I have come across have all been for half tons. I have a 68 D200, and I would like to put a clip from a 72-93 D200 under the front of it.

I guess my main question is, will a 3/4 ton clip from a 70s truck mate up with the 60s frame? Reason I ask is because I figure the later 3/4 ton frame will be heavier and possibly larger.

Has anyone done this, or do they have any pictures?

I'd really appreciate it.

The truck will also be receiving a magnum 318 and a 46RH from a 92 truck. I'm going to leave the stock injection and all on it. Since I have been unable to find a front sump pan that will fit a 360 (LA 360, and magnum 318/360 use the same pan) I figured I could knock out two birds with one stone.

Thanks!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Another IFS thread... Please forgive me!

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The 72-93 D200 frames should be the same size and shape as the D100 frames. There is a possibility of thicker metal but it shouldn't be anything that would make a major difference in a splice. The biggest difference between the D100 and D200 is suspension related.

DavidPope
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eston, Sask, Canada
State: Foreign

Post by DavidPope »

Get a post 72 club cab frame and shorten it just ahead of the rear hump so you can lower the rear part of the frame at the same time. The cab mounts are just a matter of drilling some holes and bolting them on. Check out this thread and I'll be shortening mine shortly.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41000