Newbie Front Leaf Spring Help

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Shifty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clay
State: NY

Newbie Front Leaf Spring Help

Post by Shifty »

Hello every one. New to the forum here, glad to be a part of it. I just recently bought a 1967 Dodge D100 Sweptline short box with a 318 and 3 on the tree. I'm going through it and doing a bunch of stuff. One thing that I have been trying to get my head around is the front leaf springs. I know its a topic that has been discussed to some degree, but I can't seem to find exaclty what I'm looking for. It looks like someone removed a leaf (maybe two depending on the pack) to lower the front a bit. I have to admit, I really like the height of it, not too low not really high, but the springs are obviously not right because they have a pretty bad negative arch to them and a sag on the driverside as well. While I would like to get the truck to this height eventually, I will do it right. Maybe in the future with a dropped axle from Sid's. So I'm just looking for decent springs to get her back to semi normal. I have looked at Eaton, but I just don't have that kind of money to sink into those, its crazy expensive. One local shop around here in NY wanted like $300 each just for re arching, + $$ to add a leaf and thats obviously out of the question, not to mention the springs are probably weak anyway so I just don't know what to do.

I found a guy in California that has some used ones off of a 71 D100 and they look to be in decent shape....but from the pics of some on a parts truck as well as a set that he has off of a truck, it looks like they have 6 leafs. I have only heard about 4 and 5 leaf packs. I was wondering if these could be correct and any info on what I might be seeing. He said the measurements from center eye to eye on the bushings are around 46" on one set and another around 46.5", (both sets are off the truck) I have not actually taken the springs off of my truck to measure anything so possibly getting any info there would be great as well. I'd really appreciate any info and help on interchangeablity of front springs, specs.....anything really that I can learn so that I can get her going. I'm getting really worried that I won't be able to afford getting something correct and she will end up sitting for far too long. Thanks guys!!

Here are the pics that he sent me of the leaf springs on the parts truck and the others off of the truck

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Newbie Front Leaf Spring Help

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Looks like they're off a D100. If so, they are correct and will work fine. (A 383 truck will have more leaves than a /6 truck.)

Shifty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clay
State: NY

Re: Newbie Front Leaf Spring Help

Post by Shifty »

Great, I appreciate the info!! Just trying to learn as much as I can.