New Power Steering Box Available?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

New Power Steering Box Available?

Post by Cleanfingernails »

I have read most of the the very, very, very long thread on how CPP took a stab at configuring a new power steering box for Swepties.

My take away is that no-one has designed and produced a workable system yet. Am I correct? Or, have some of you bought a CPP (or other) box with which you are happy?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: New Power Steering Box Available?

Post by Conrad »

After reading many different forums and for many old cars that use Saginaw, I think this is a universal issue. (Short story, read http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... eringmods/).

You have to have enough pressure at idle for maneuverability but not too much pressure at cruising speed that makes the steering too light. This is the same issue I had with my a-body. Even though I got a 'police steering box' with heavier springs, it was still too light, but perfect maneuvering in the driveway. If you want no-speed maneuverability, then you need to have decent pressure at idle (1200) but limit the pressure on the higher end. This can be accomplished using a high pressure relief type of valve (see the article above).

My goal is to get a power steering box so that I can add much more caster to my front end to make it more stable at higher speeds rather for 'no-speed' maneuverability. I'm comfortable with moving backwards or forwards to turn the steering easier if needed.

AFTER I get the front end sorted out of course.

Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cleanfingernails »

Has anyone made the modifications outlined in the article Conrad cites? If so, are you happy?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Be aware that the CPP has a race car fast ratio that is too fast for many d100s and most d200s. Add the longer pitman arm length of the d300 and it becomes a joke.It's like using a tool with too short of a handle. CPP does not sell a kit for d300s. Do you want to assume the liability when it fails?
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

There is a good youtube video of someone adding/modifying the sweptline power assist on their D300 dump truck. I've watched it several times learning about the components and setup. https://youtu.be/xySvIy6f7k0 There are some other videos following on to that.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

They did make power assist for the D300. I happen to have 2 complete systems minus the pump right now. The D300 uses a larger version of the system used on a D100/D200.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

Another option, depending on your pockets, is electric-assist steering. This would retain the original steering box and add a power assist.

Someone here at work is doing an MGB-V8 conversion and is using the EZ Power Steering product. The systems uses a coupler between the column and box. http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/25/170/EZ ... ERING.html

There is also a version made out of the UK that 'clamps' around the steering column and bolts to the frame to add electric assist (senses the effort and adds the assist, less effort less assist). On the bus and other older vehicles (such as 65-66 Mustang, the column and box are one piece. http://litesteer.com/products/classic-vehicles/

Looking around there are distributors in the US for both, but I have ordered products from the UK before and customs has not been a problem.