Different master cylinder ?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
flammulator
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: germany
State: Foreign

Different master cylinder ?

Post by flammulator »

Hello from germany,
I need a new master cylinder.
1970 D200,383,power brakes.
I want to order it by Rockauto.
All the MC that will fit for my car are bolted on with 2 screws, bore 1,125 or bigger.

My one is bolted on with 4 screws and it's bore is 1".
These small ones i can find in trucks with the small block.

Whats wrong?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: Different master cylinder ?

Post by MadMC63 »

I read on this forum where a gentleman used one from a 72 with no problems. Said it was a bolt on with no mods.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

you can find the 4 bolt 1" bore master cylinder of you look under 1968 d100 w/383. Not sure why that is not listed for the 69-71. It might be that your current setup is not factory and some PO replaced the vacuum booster and master cylinder from an older truck??? I am by no means an expert historian on these trucks. I have always understood that the master cylinder for 4 wheels drums that has a bore of 1" was for manual brakes and the larger bores were for the power brakes. Smaller bore has more pedal travel but requires less effort where as a larger bore has less pedal travel but requires more effort, all things being equal that is.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

I ended up going back to eBay for an NOS item as I couldn't find one that I trusted would work. There are rebuilt A1Cardone master cylinders matching your description that will likely ship international.

I cross-referenced the part numbers and bought an 'NOS' rebuilt MoPar unit on eBay that was for late 71-73 Newport w/power front disc, as the part # matched what was used on the truck for 72-73. It was inexpensive. I'm now looking for a matching 4 post booster.