Wheel hop.

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Wheel hop.

Post by MadMC63 »

71 D100. I am experiencing some very serious wheel hop. Not a race truck or anything like that just want to be able to spin the tires without the feeling of being punched in the back of the head. As this is not a record setter my intentions are to keep the rear suspension as stock as possible. My one thought is to build a pinion snubber and maybe bolt a steel plate contact point beneath the bed. Any experience or thoughts?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Wheel hop.

Post by soopernaut »

You could add torque rods like the HPP trucks came with.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I don't know about them. That's something I've not seen. I'll start my Google search.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

I've been researching this for a couple of weeks. This is a good article explaining wheel hop and axle wrap, comparing the different methods of controlling axle wrap. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

Caltracs have a good reputation https://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.html but the article above says to avoid single link if you can. But that would be most like the 60's era solution.
Attachments
7184601-AxleWrapUnderAcceleration.jpg
Last edited by Conrad on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Here's a picture of the torque rods from Ben's trucks. I really don't know if they prevent wheel hop or just axle wrap.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

Pinion snubber feedback: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7664

Sounds like the torque bar and snubber would control most of it.

I was watching the Stacey David video on the cherry bomb and even with the 'fancy' 4-link it has wheel hop. https://youtu.be/vS_5xwt1_io So my take-away is to do the easier mods first.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Wow!

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

Calvert is an interesting option, keeps me out from under the truck. I've used snubbers before and was aware of the short comings.
1971 Dodge D100

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

The Hellwig traction spring (#2002) may be an option. It works with 2.5" or narrower standard height springs. http://www.jegs.com/i/Hellwig/207/2002/10002/-1

I haven't yet found anyone that sells an 'opposing spring' solution like the original traction device.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

Spent some time reading and found that the Calvert Racing units aren't really for trucks. Hellwig looks pretty simple and might actually work but a lot of the reviews I've read said it didn't completely eliminate the problem. Tuff Country looks to have a product not to dissimilar to the OEM torque rod. Looks to be a bolt on but haven't found much info yet.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/bmz_cache ... 66x200.jpg
1971 Dodge D100

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

If capable, just make some traction bars. Fixed my axle hop issue i was having at the drag strip. very affordable option if you can weld. Here are some pics.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24726

In the pics you can see i left about an inch on clearance between the snubber and the spring. This will not work if you carry heavy loads as it could force a undesirable pinion angle (the more the rear squats the lower the pinion is pushed down) when loaded up. the only things i haul are slicks, floor jack, and a real small toolbox to the track.

even though picture do not show it, you should also add a u-bolt to tie the bars to the springs to keep the bars from dropping to far on heavy decel. My friends noticed how far they dropped when i was at the track and i added the u-bolts later for piece of mind.

Although, if $$ is not an issue, i would probably go with Cal-tracs.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I have been seriously considering those and ones that look like them. I cant even do a burn out. At first I was going to make a pinion snubber using an old, cheap round jack stand but decided I really didn't want the hassle of adjusting and un- adjusting.
1971 Dodge D100

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

Resurrecting an old thread with updated information on Caltracs.

https://calvertracing.com/product-categ ... cs-trucks/

The page contains pictures and dimension worksheet.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

I have a new set of the Tough Country bars still in their original packing material. The nice aspect of these is that the bar is on top of the rearend so ground clearance and rearend appearance is not affected. If interested I would offer a substantial reduction over Summit, Jegs, etc. Please PM me here.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Country/444/30695/10002/-1
TC2.jpg
TC2.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
TC Bars1.jpg

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

I had hop before I replaced the worn out springs from ESPO. Craig

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

I've got new springs and a sway bar now. Really hoping it has fixed my wheel hop problem. If not, I'll have to remember this thread