passenger rear brakes tighten as I drive

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Alameda
State: CA

passenger rear brakes tighten as I drive

Post by hobo »

I've never encountered this: the passenger rear shoes tighten up against the drums as I drive, until the whole thing can't even be turned by hand with the rear jacked up. I back off the brake shoes, drive some more, and they tighten up again, with under 2 miles of driving. During today's test it started tightening up before I had even parked and used the parking brake, so I'm doubting the parking brake is the problem. I pulled both rear drums and double checked that the hardware is installed correctly against pictures in the service manual.

Any ideas? :thinking
1967 D-100, /6, 3 on the tree

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: passenger rear brakes tighten as I drive

Post by 712edf »

The self adjusting drum brakes that I'm familiar with would do their adjusting while the vehicle was being backed up in reverse, but even then they wouldn't adjust themselves to the point of locking.

When did this begin? After working on them?

Are you sure nothing is on backwards or the wrong side? Does the other side work properly?

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That squeal from the engine is causing the brake springs to straighten out and push the shoes out instead of retracting them! :lol:

When they are locked up, open the bleeder valve. If fluid squirts out and the brakes release, there is a blockage in the line that is holding the pressure. Usually its an old rubber flex line that is swollen shut internally.

hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hobo »

712edf wrote:The self adjusting drum brakes that I'm familiar with would do their adjusting while the vehicle was being backed up in reverse, but even then they wouldn't adjust themselves to the point of locking.

When did this begin? After working on them?

Are you sure nothing is on backwards or the wrong side? Does the other side work properly?

Bucky
Yep. I replaced MC, shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware. I did the front hoses, but not the rear. The other side (driver side) appeared to be working properly, but when I pulled it apart I discovered I had gotten sloppy and one side of the wheel cylinder was not making contact with the shoe, and was pushed all the way out, rupturing the cup. I opened the bleeder, pushed it back in, bled it, took it for a test drive, and...same thing. Other side is locked up. :thinking

hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hobo »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:That squeal from the engine is causing the brake springs to straighten out and push the shoes out instead of retracting them! :lol:

When they are locked up, open the bleeder valve. If fluid squirts out and the brakes release, there is a blockage in the line that is holding the pressure. Usually its an old rubber flex line that is swollen shut internally.
I'm going to try that. I didn't replace the rear brake hose, so maybe it's time.

hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hobo »

hobo wrote:
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:That squeal from the engine is causing the brake springs to straighten out and push the shoes out instead of retracting them! :lol:

I'm going to try that. I didn't replace the rear brake hose, so maybe it's time.
Opened the bleeder: no fluid came out.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ok, the ONLY way the brakes can be locked up is if the piston seals in the wheel cyl are not retracting, or the adjuster is somehow turning out and locking up the shoes. Easy to see which it is when u take it apart, then figure out why.

hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hobo »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Ok, the ONLY way the brakes can be locked up is if the piston seals in the wheel cyl are not retracting, or the adjuster is somehow turning out and locking up the shoes. Easy to see which it is when u take it apart, then figure out why.
The adjuster was the first thing I suspected. I guess I'll get an assistant to carefully pump the brake pedal with the drum off and see what happens...

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

When mine did that my little hole in the master cylinder was clogged not allowing the fluid to return to the master. It was new, just a piece of debris found it's way in there. Have someone cycle the brake pedal while you're looking into the master to see if you can see the brake piston move back and forth in both holes. Find a small wire or something to put in there to make sure they are clear. It's free and could possibly be an issue. I've also heard of old brake hoses collapsing on the inside restricting flow. Look fine on the outside, but swollen on the inside. Just throwing out ideas. Good luck..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta