Steering Box Conundrum

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Steering Box Conundrum

Post by Cleanfingernails »

My 1963 D300 is a top-heavy rig with a caveman camper on top. The steering, after a bumpy ride down a washboardy river road, became extremely loose. I could move the steering wheel about 6 inches before the tires would move. The steering box had previously been rebuilt by the associates from Vintage Power Wagon. The rebuilt box was then installed. The rig initially drove fine. Then after about 250 miles, the same sloppy steering reappeared. I sent the steering box back. I was told there was nothing wrong with it.
So, assuming that my steering box is fine, why is it so sloppy? It seems a bad front end can have a host of causes: kingpin and shocks, for example. But if I have 6 inches of slop before the wheel turns, and it's not the steering box, what's the most likely cause and how do I fix it?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: Steering Box Conundrum

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth slowly while you look around at all the connections. Being that loose you should be able to spot it.
Andy

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Seriously worn drag link is a common problem.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Make sure the bolt is as tight as you can tighten it where the pitman arm is bolted the the box. Sometimes the splines can turn in the arm even though they are splined with a through bolt it can still happen..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta