Rear drum backing plate question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Mangra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Rear drum backing plate question

Post by Mangra »

I am in the process of getting a new 8.75 rear end ready for my 1964 axle swap. We got the axle from a 1969 to 71 d-100 adventurer pickup bed trailer. When we pulled the axle we saw that the driver's side backing plate was bent pretty bad and the drum was missing. Drums are easy to buy new, but backing plates, maybe not.

The question is, Will any 10 inch car or truck with a 8.75 inch backing plate fit this axle? Or, should I post a message for a pair of backing plates on the parts wanted section from a 1/2 ton truck?

Thanks
Robert

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: Rear drum backing plate question

Post by MadMC63 »

The answer is yes. Even the 9 1/4 Dana 60 backing plates should be the same. I don't know about the full floating axle housings of the bigger trucks. You could even use a B body rear end if you wanted to. It's about 3" shorter total. Instant narrowed rear end.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Mangra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by Mangra »

Thanks
I did find a reference that said they were all the same for 10 inch drums from 1965 to 1992 with 2.5 inch brakes. Cars, trucks you name it. I couldn't find anyone that makes them new anymore. Guess the Pull A Part is my next stop.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I think the prices are way to high but here's a source. Scroll down the page.
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/brake.htm
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

1971 Dodge D100