Rear Shock Choice - Need advice after mods...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Rear Shock Choice - Need advice after mods...

Post by maxmac »

I just acquired and installed a set of 4" lift blocks for the rear end of my '66 D100 Town Wagon that fixed the issue I was battling with the rear end sagging. I've upgraded the springs front and rear and am also in the process of converting the truck to 4x4. In addition to the new springs and the lift blocks in the rear, it also has a matched set of Dana 44 axles out of an '81 W150. Of course all of these additions changes things a bit. That said, the shocks that are currently on the rear are the stock Monroe shocks for a 2wd '66 D100 and are obviously now stretched to their limit.
What do I need to look for to get the correct rear shocks? Do I search for parts from a W100, and '81 W150, or other given the additional 4" reach required as a result of the lift blocks? Any advice on this topic is appreciated.

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Re: Rear Shock Choice - Need advice after mods...

Post by riffraff »

You're probably going to have to wing it. I went with Rancho RS9000 that have adjustable damping. If you look though their catalog, in the specs section at the back, it will give you a place to start for length and mount/eye type. Rancho told me it was much more important that the shocks don't bottom, than it was if they top out. Obviously, you really don't want either. BTW, their "recommendations" were worthless...

http://www.e-digitaleditions.com/t/29580-rancho
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Re: Rear Shock Choice - Need advice after mods...

Post by maxmac »

Thanks for the input and resources! After measuring a few things and comparing to some other trucks in the area, I think I have ti figured out... I have about 23.125" between the mounting pins as it sits. From what I can gather, I'll need about 4" of play from center. Found a Monroe (Magnum 65) truck shock that's a little over 28" fully extended and about 17.5" fully compressed. Should work for what I need.