New member intro and Wheel spacing advice

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Swexas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: College Station
State: TX

New member intro and Wheel spacing advice

Post by Swexas »

My first post here as a brand spanking new member, but been using your knowledge and forums for a few weeks now, so thank you! I've got an old TXDOT 1966 D100 short bed with slant 6 of unknown cubic inches and 3 speed on the tree that my dad owns and has let me resurrect from the dead. 22 years ago I was driving down a country road near where we lived and happened to look over and spy an old yellow truck with a welding machine in the bed. I turned around, knocked on the door and asked the fella if he was interested in selling the welding machine( I had a decent truck I was already driving). He told me I had to take the truck with it but would sell the Dodge and the Lincoln welder both for $500. I got the welding machine and the truck was repaired to running and road worthiness for my brother to drive. He drove it as his first vehicle in high school for almost a year before the clutch went out and it got parked and has set for the last 20-21 years. I got tired of being without some type of truck and asked my dad if he minded me getting it going; which he said was fine. We stretched a chain and tow strap to it, drug it out of the wooded pasture and pushed it into the shop. At least two of the wheels had been sitting on the ground flat tires and all and have rusted away at the bead area. I removed the gas tank from behind the seat and sent it as well as the radiator to be cleaned out and repaired. The carb was pulled and is soaking in Berryman's chemtool before I get around to getting back to his place to pull apart and rebuild it. I think I also need a brake block that I was told was cracked. Have a new clutch in the box ready to go in as soon as I can get to it.

My big concern at this time is finding some wheels and tires for it to get it rolling again. I'd like to put an aftermarket set of aluminum wheels on there and have searched and found suggestions and pics of these trucks with newer wheels and tires. My question is, what spacing is required in the front and the rear for wheels and tires not to rub components? I'm looking to likely go with American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels. Not sure if I will stick with 15" wheels or not but I want 10" wide wheels for the rear and was thinking just split the spacing in half for 5" back spacing and for the front, a 15x8 wheel with 4" back spacing. Can anyone chime in to tell me if I can use these figures with the wheels so that they will fit properly and not rub please?

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the truck next time I'm over there. I wish my wife would let me keep it at home but I have no shop, zero garage space, limited tools so It's parked over and hour away and cannot come to my house until it is running.

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Re: New member intro and Wheel spacing advice

Post by hitparader »

Not sure on the back, but on the fronts anything over 4" backspacing will rub the tie rods. There's a few older threads here that talk about it in more detail.

Swexas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: College Station
State: TX

Re: New member intro and Wheel spacing advice

Post by Swexas »

Thanks for the information; I'm close to picking out some wheels. It may look like a rust bucket now, but hope it can wear some nice shoes!