Should I do the Crown Vic Front Suspension?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
scraigallen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wilmington
State: NC

Should I do the Crown Vic Front Suspension?

Post by scraigallen »

All,

New to the forum. I am working on redoing a 1970 D100 Shortbed. It is about 90% complete. It has a rebuilt 225 Slant 6, 2 BBL Carb, HEI Ignition, New Wiring, etc. Converted to an A833 4 Speed. I have finally got it to a running stage.

My question is about the front suspension. Currently, it has a Sid's Dropped Axle, Scarebird Discs, a rebuilt steering box, and a new tie rod end. It drives pretty good with hardly any bump steer. The issue is that driving down the street, you have to give it alot of steering input to keep it going straight. I have checked over everything and had some experienced old car guys look at it and we think that it is working about as good as it can. They said that the old solid axle trucks just drove that way.

Question 1 - Do I just get used to the steering like it is?

Question 2 - Do I do the Crown Vic Front Suspension Swap?

Question 3 - If I do the Crown Vic Swap, for those of you who have done it, does it fit without cutting into the frame? I went to the junk yard this weekend and did some measuring on a crown vic. And my frame is a little wide towards the cab side and looks like it may need a little clearancing at the bottom. On the front side of the axle the frame tapers in and looks like it will fit fine. Based on my measurements, the crown vic front suspension will fit with just a little bit of modification and fabrication.

So do I bite the bullet and do the crown vic swap? I would like the truck to steer with a more modern feel. I wish I had done it when I had it apart. But I think I can work around the motor mounts at this point.

Thanks, Craig Allen

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Re: Should I do the Crown Vic Front Suspension?

Post by RobertGilliam »

Craig I was given a like new one and am going to get it installed in Aug, its your truck my friend go for it.

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

Tilting the axle back a few degrees may help the wandering.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Johninky wrote:Tilting the axle back a few degrees may help the wandering.
I agree. If everything is in good condition, it sounds like a caster issue.

There are a few CV swaps on this site and they do require some frame modifications.

scraigallen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wilmington
State: NC

Post by scraigallen »

Thanks for the replies.

Currently it has 2 axle shims, I think 3 degrees each for 6 degrees. The former owner said it was bad before the shims.

Do you guys have to constantly give steering input with yours?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

scraigallen wrote:Do you guys have to constantly give steering input with yours?
I do. I have a good steering box, new tie rod ends, new drag link and new king pins.
It still wanders a little... no big deal for me.... but I never was after a "more modern"
steering feel. I was merely after the best I could get out of a steering system with new
parts and a re-alignment. :2cents
John

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

From experience, loose wheel bearings and/or an over tighten steering box will cause this problem.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Johninky wrote:From experience, loose wheel bearings and/or an over tighten steering box will cause this problem.
I'm with johninky ,wheel bearings can make a difference, and check the rag joint that fixed my steering.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

sdenty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Buena Park
State: CA

Post by sdenty »

The other option is a Volare style suspension(all Mopar then). I put that under my 64,yes my stock 67 needs constant input while driving.