69 Dodge D100 Power Brake Booster Conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Bakerm07
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Maiden
State: NC

69 Dodge D100 Power Brake Booster Conversion

Post by Bakerm07 »

New owner of a 1969 Dodge D100 and I really need your help. I've looked all thru the threads and ordered what I thought was the right power brake booster. I ordered a master cylinder for my 69 and a power brake booster off of a 72 Dodge D200. Received them today and the master cylinder works and bolts up perfect to the firewall so I know it's right. The brake booster and master cylinder bolt up perfect. Where I'm running into a problem is that the power brake booster's studs are not in the same place so they will not bolt up to the firewall. How do I fix this? Do I have the wrong brake booster or do I drill new holes in the firewall? Thanks for all of your help.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Re: 69 Dodge D100 Power Brake Booster Conversion

Post by 413wagon »

I ran into the same thing on my 69. Drill new holes in the firewall. If you look on the inside of the firewall, there are other sets of holes in the welded on brace to use as a template. It looks like they drilled the appropriate holes for either manual or power brakes at the factory. I also ran into an issue with the pushrod length on my booster and had to fabricate an adjustable length pushrod. I love the power brakes now.

Bakerm07
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Maiden
State: NC

Post by Bakerm07 »

413wagon wrote:I ran into the same thing on my 69. Drill new holes in the firewall. If you look on the inside of the firewall, there are other sets of holes in the welded on brace to use as a template. It looks like they drilled the appropriate holes for either manual or power brakes at the factory. I also ran into an issue with the pushrod length on my booster and had to fabricate an adjustable length pushrod. I love the power brakes now.
What did you do to fabricate and adjustable pushrod? And we're you able to mount it directly to the firewall?

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Post by 413wagon »

The 69-71 boosters mounted directly onto the firewall with 4 bolt holes. MY booster came with a pushrod that was too long. It could not be removed...or I could not figure out how to remove it without breaking something, so I cut it off, shortened by around an inch and threaded both ends and installed a threaded sleeve between them. A dye set a $1 sleeve from the hardware store, a couple of nuts (as locknuts to take up the slack and keep the sleeve from working loose) and everything is good now.