CPP Steering Input

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

CPP Steering Input

Post by digdoug »

Hello,
I have been reading about the new CPP steering box for a couple years and thought it looked like a good bolt on solution to sweptline power steering. Now that the box is in actual production I am reading a bit of negative feedback. I would like to know just how good or bad this system is. Here is what I was thinking. Those that have bought the box , could you post your opinions on this thread and tell us what you think,good or bad.
If this system is a lemon... we need to know. If it is great... we need to know. If it is good in some situations,but has limitations... WE NEED TO KNOW!
Pictures,modifications and the like would also be helpful to sort this out.

Thanks,
Doug
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: CPP Steering Input

Post by Txas2step »

I bought the set-up several months ago but have not installed it. I have both a federal and saginaw pumps and brackets for it. The guy I sold my 1966 d200 to, installed the system and used 2 different saginaw pumps ( rebuilt) with the same problem: no assist at dead stop.( 16.5 rims and tires). It appears to be a pressure issue but not certain. I have not called CPP to discuss , but others have stated that they have not been responsive or helpful. :shame Hope I didn't make a $800 mistake. :banghead Waiting for more feedback. :thinking
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

digdoug wrote:Hello,
I have been reading about the new CPP steering box for a couple years and thought it looked like a good bolt on solution to sweptline power steering. Now that the box is in actual production I am reading a bit of negative feedback. I would like to know just how good or bad this system is. Here is what I was thinking. Those that have bought the box , could you post your opinions on this thread and tell us what you think,good or bad.
If this system is a lemon... we need to know. If it is great... we need to know. If it is good in some situations,but has limitations... WE NEED TO KNOW!
Pictures,modifications and the like would also be helpful to sort this out.

Thanks,
Doug
:goodpost :goodpost
I most definitely agree with Doug.

To anyone considering purchasing this system, I'd suggest you WAIT for some
feedback and discussions. :idea :2cents
John

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Post by 413wagon »

I posted pics of my install on a different thread. The install was very straight forward and looks great. I cannot turn from a dead stop .but I could not turn the manual box at a dead stop either. I am happy with the system...the issue , I think , is the quick ratio box. No amount of pressure can make it work. As soon as you start to move, it is very easy to turn. Maybe they will redesign the box. My truck has 33 x12.5s and has a big block. I don't know if guys with 2wd and skinny tires with lighter engines have the same issue or not. Again, I am happy with the system so far. Its been 6 months and a few thousand miles. Just my 2 cents.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Thanks for chiming in,413 wagon! Did you ever check your caster? If so ,what is it?
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

So would caster shims help alleviate the problems people are having? The factory PS trucks had them, and I'm not sure anyone added them to their axle when doing this conversion.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Bill, It sounds like "tight" steering is the problem in most cases here. Adding castor shims to the stock axle will not help this problem.
413 wagon has a unique situation with his later open knuckle axle. Adding castor shims to DECREASE his castor may be helpful.I have a hunch that he has too much positive castor but only he can know for sure. Inquiring minds want to know... :thinking
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

413wagon wrote:I posted pics of my install on a different thread. The install was very straight forward and looks great. I cannot turn from a dead stop .but I could not turn the manual box at a dead stop either. I am happy with the system...the issue , I think , is the quick ratio box. No amount of pressure can make it work. As soon as you start to move, it is very easy to turn. Maybe they will redesign the box. My truck has 33 x12.5s and has a big block. I don't know if guys with 2wd and skinny tires with lighter engines have the same issue or not. Again, I am happy with the system so far. Its been 6 months and a few thousand miles. Just my 2 cents.
Same thing with mine except I have a D100 383 with skinny tires, that had power assist from the factory (so it should have shims). After talking to CPP they suggested the pump was the problem, I am using the Federal pump and have changed it 3 time. Still the truck steers better than before and I can at least get in and out of a parking spot. That being said I can live with this, but would be nice to have it work the correct way. I have driven from Colorado to Maryland and then to FL and back to Maryland so highway diving is great .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pdQ79OxUFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8J-ddN-_4
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Post by RobertGilliam »

Mine works great and I can turn from stop. I did add 2.5 degree shims to start and was going to go in increments however it is perfect with no bump steer etc. Using a factory 1977 440 Police (saginaw) Car Pump (if they were different) and the cooler. Eight in wheels and large tires, guess I was a lucky one.
Last edited by RobertGilliam on Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston

Post by Txas2step »

RobertGilliam wrote:Mine works great and I can turn from stop. I did add 2.5 degree shims to start and as going to go in increments however it is perfect with no bump steer etc. Using a factory 1977 440 Police (saginaw) Car Pump (if they were different) and the cooler. Eight in wheels and large tires, guess I was a lucky one.
Good to know your box/pump is working properly . Do you have the source for the pump/shims?
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands

Post by longbed67 »

sent my box back haven't heard anything back yet I bought a Saginaw box going to make my own brackets and run that cpp has wasted a lot of my valuable time and money very pissed at them .................. :banghead

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

longbed 67 what is your final castor on your front axle?
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands

Post by longbed67 »

its the original angle that shouldn't matter though? cpp don't seem to want to correct the problem . all the tie rods ,king pins are new everything turns free

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

How do you know it is the original angle? Did you take the time to check it ? 1967 was a long time ago and there are plenty of things that could have changed the castor angle in that time. THE CASTOR ANGLE DOES MATTER! It's no surprise that CPP has quit trying to help If you can't even take a few minutes to make sure the rest of the steering components are in spec... After reading your build thread it looks like the steering was in poor shape when you got the truck.Without checking the alignment you have no way to rule it out . It has just as much chance of being the problem as the steering box.
I think it is a good idea to get your own part of the system to where you KNOW FOR SURE it is right before you start placing blame elsewhere. :2cents
Do you remember The Scientific Method ?
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

erik68w100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sandpoint
State: ID

Post by erik68w100 »

Anyone else out there with feedback regarding the CPP kit? Sure would be nice to hear from all of you that have installed it and what your experience has been!!

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

I've got most of it installed (easy) and started buttoning mine back up this weekend, hopefully wheels down in a few days more as I get time. One thing to note is since the column is moved down and inboard about 1/2", the old firewall seal won't really fit. I punched a new one out of 1/8" nitrile rubber to account for the offset (it's also about 1/16" thicker than the original). I was never able to find any modern rubber with the original texture pattern.
Attachments
gasket.jpg

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Nice, what year is yours? Mine didn't need to have a new fire wall seal. Let us know how yours works at a stop. That's the problem some of us have had.
Until then swept on, john
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

johnah wrote:Nice, what year is yours? Mine didn't need to have a new fire wall seal. Let us know how yours works at a stop. That's the problem some of us have had.
Until then swept on, john
That looks like a '61-'68 column floor gasket. :study
John

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Yep, just had to move the hole a little farther south and west....

MikeyB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brecon
State: Foreign

Post by MikeyB »

Hi All,
Just finished fitting the CPP power steering kit.
Cut the new floor/column gasket same as hitparader, as the old one didn't line up.
Had a minor fluid leak...my fault hadn't tightened the fittings enough into the pump.
At dead stop, there isn't anything...so same issue as others on here...BUT it is a 100% improvement on what I had before.
Went for a test drive and the steering was much more positive.
Overall, I am really pleased with it and don't have to apply force to turn the steering when manoeuvring the truck.
Whilst I had the steering column apart, I fitted a new turn signal switch as the old one didn't cancel because of a broken plastic bit.