CPP Steering Input

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: CPP Steering Input

Post by kurt »

I have not driven my truck on the open road but have moved it and turned it around quite a bit on my property. There is no issue with mine at a dead stop. I can spin the wheel lock to lock with one finger at a dead stop. Its a D200 Crew with 16.5 skinny tires. I am using a PS pump from a 1994 dodge ram which I think is 1200-1400 PSI. I can not remember the spec for the CPP Pump but think it is in the CPP forum where I asked them.

I am curious as to what the issue is. These have been sold into a lot of fords and Chevys before CPP did the dodge kit. I will go read their forum and look at a ford or Chevy forum for feedback.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I just remembered i am running a 6 1/2 inch pitman. The Dodge pitman arm may just be too long. I need to get the correct pitman arm and see if it craps out.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Kurt,
I'm thinking if you are getting full lock to lock motion, you HAVE the correct pitman arm. :goodpost
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

I've been reading along and wondering why others aren't using a newer pump like kurt. Why not buy a street rod pump and build some brackets. There must be something up with the pumps or the size of hoses vs pressure.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

All saginaws may not be the same

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/120 ... -steering/

Pump flow/valve rating: This is another aspect of the pump that varied completely by original application. The OEMs would specify what flow rating was required based on vehicle weight, steering gear piston diameter, and whether or not the pump was running a Hydro-Boost brake system. The Saginaw pump in OEM applications can be set from 2.0 on up to 4.5 gpm.

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands
State: TX

Post by longbed67 »

Got my box back from cpp it just sits on the floor in don't have the energy to mess with it. Maybe when the weather is nice if will tackle it wish me luck

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

wow again all questions answered, suspect the problem might be the pump pressure rating, might ask them BEFORE I purchase mine .BTW good thread

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

Ok talked to a couple of peeps at CCP ,one says all forum members as he says have had their problems addressed and are happy. the second guy says, when I inquired about the dead spot when the power box was installed, we discussed the difference between the power steering psi or cfm hydraulic pressure in various power steering pumps , rack and pinon power steering pumps like low pressure but old mopar non Rack power steering pumps are higher pressure.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

I have the no power at stand still and have been waiting to hear if the others on the forum made any head way with CPP.
Have not seen anyone with the problem state a fix. I have chosen to live with it because it is still worlds better that stock.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I'm very curious. Caster and camber only have an effect if the vehicle is moving don't they? If I understand correctly the problem is only at idle while the vehicle is setting still. Isn't that the whole point of power steering to make it easier to turn the wheels at a stand still and low speeds and wasn't that the problem in the beginning. When power steering was first introduced it worked great at a stand still and low speeds but was to responsive at road speeds and if I remember correctly most newer vehicles employ a variable system that allows for full power assist at low speeds and gradually reduces the assist at higher speeds so that at highway speeds your basically using manual steering because the assist isn't required. I think that if your using a gear box designed for another vehicle you should at the least be using a pump that meets the requirements for that system.

Has anyone experimented with engine rpm. I would like to know if the engine is revved up while sitting still is there any change in function.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

I think the problem is the pressure from the pump, you cant use the rack and pinion pumps too low pressure , you have to use a high flow pump off of a older dodge , truck if you can get one, not all of these pumps are the same they are vehicle specific.

I am not going to buy one till we all have it down pat .

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

johnah wrote:I have the no power at stand still and have been waiting to hear if the others on the forum made any head way with CPP.
Have not seen anyone with the problem state a fix. I have chosen to live with it because it is still worlds better that stock.
what power steering pump did you use, what was it out of ?did you find out the pressure it pumps at?

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

Using the Federal pump,, its the only thing i could find to fit the big block (383) with AC.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

If anyone is interested my truck has the OEM assist and the federal pump. The pump produces 900 PSI max and typically has an idle pressure between 80 and 100. CPP says as long as the pump can achieve 900 PSI it should be fine. Is the CPP kit identical for everyone? Any chance of the pressure hose ID causing the pressure problem?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

Up date on my steering after new king pins and alignment some improvement. Next new bushing for the front and yet another alignment , big improvement . :clap I'd say I'm almost 90% there. On my way west for the summer, so I'll have about a 3500 mile test run on it. Then I'll have an update, but for now it looks like The CPP with Mopar Federal pump is going to do the job.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

If you come through Austin or San Antonio let me know. I'd like to take a look.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

Sorry, from south FL I go north to MD to see grandkids. From their west to Estes Park CO for the summer.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Just curious if anyone else received a rag joint in their kit that had a one 5/16" diameter bolt and one 3/8" diameter bolt? (rather than two5/16" diameter bolts?). I've had my pieces for over a year and am just getting into the swap and ran into this.

- EM

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Disregard. I got to looking things over and found that the drive posts are 3/8" on one side and the coupling bolts are 5/16". The opposite of each pin is the same so, they assembled the rag joint incorrectly. I just swapped one of each and everything is OK.

- EM

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

After king pins, new bushings (spring and sway) then yet another alignment I'm go to go. Steering at stand still is about 90% corrected everything else about the steering is spot on. Just put 2000 plus miles cross country trip with no problem and no excess tire wear. :clap I installed the CPP kit June of 2015 I think it was the 3 or four kit they put together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjVogCAh-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8J-ddN-_4