31x10.5 Tires Advice

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Yellow62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boca Raton
State: FL

31x10.5 Tires Advice

Post by Yellow62 »

Hi, I posted a while back and was thinking about putting 16" crown vic cop wheels on my 1962 Utiline. I got sidetracked with life in general and have not had a chance to finish that project. I've just been driving it with the 205/60/15 tires on 15 x 5.5 rims the truck had on it. Well, now I've got some time and money and need some advice from the experts on this forum. I've read a post or two about people successfully fitting 31x10.5 tires on their D100's. I need some confirmation that this will indeed work with my truck. It's a 1962 Utiline, stock suspension. I did the scare bird conversion not that long ago with all new brake lines, master cylinder, rear shoes, etc. I plan on buying some cragar soft 8 wheels in 15x8 with 4" backspacing. I'd like to put 31x10.5 tires on it to increase the ride height as well as get me into a more comfortable rev range at highway speeds (I've got a torqueflite trans with 8-3/4" rear and 3.91 gears). Any advice, help, etc. is greatly appreciated. I'd really like to see anyone that has some pics of their rig with this tire size. Here is a pic of what I am running now. Thanks!
Attachments
62 Ute.jpg

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 31x10.5 Tires Advice

Post by GMAN69 »

I had them on my stock rims 15 years ago they were free used and I needed them. They bulges a little but ran fine hauled a load well. They did rub a little on front drivers side steering arm, in a tight turn. I have a 1969 D100,standard sweptline bed.

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: CA

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

I have them on mine, they were on the truck when I bought them. From the picture you can see where the steering arm had been rubbing on it. While I like the ride height, the steering is really difficult on tight turns, moving slowly. I don't have power steering. Crowded parking lots are not fun places to be with this truck. I'm going to try some LT 245/75 15 tires this summer.
Attachments
31x10.5 driver front tire .JPG
71 D100 driveway 2 .JPG
71 D100 driveway .JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Did u buy that truck from Mike Hooker?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Don't know if this will help but here goes. I have 15x9 wheels on the back and 15X7 wheels on the front. Both front and rear have 3.5" back space. The wheels are very close to the same inner fender location as the OEM 15X5.5 wheels. On the rear I have 275/60 15's and on the front the tires are 215/65R 15. I know the fronts are to short for you. The back tires are 28" tall and 10.83" wide and have about 1.5" clearance from the tire bulge to the inner fender. The rear tires have no scrubbing issue. My truck has OEM power assist ( which I'm very proud of) and the front tires do not hit anything either.
here's an older post with a couple of pics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40693
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

Yes I bought it from his widow back in June of last year. Did you know him and do you have any information on the history of the truck? I've been going thru it top to bottom and there are things that need to be changed and upgraded. My receipts tell me he spent a lot on the brakes, the tires and rear spring kit. I've already installed the new driveshaft, tail shaft housing, u-joints, etc. When I replaced the oil pan gasket, I found out it has a windage tray and double roller timing chain. It leads me to believe that someone worked on the 440 motor before installing it.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Yes, I knew Mike well. Was shocking to find out 2 days ago that he had passed. Widow found him in the garage, between a Valiant and Cuda, so he was amongst friends :salut
We bought and sold parts to each other for the last 10+ yrs and he was on the forum regularly. Our last visit was a few yrs ago when he drove that truck to my jobsite in Suisun for show and tell. I remember it as a really fine truck and recognized it when you posted it. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the history on it, only that it is damn nicer than the typical Swept. Glad the truck has a new loving home!

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

I still can't get over how clean and original it is (other than the 440 conversion). While the tires look new from the tread, the side walls have cracks, probably from sitting a long time.

I had the choice between this 1971 or his 1968 D100 with the factory 383. Wish I could have bought them both. I felt sad for her because there was so much to have to deal, but she was being helped by a mutual friend of theirs for the sale of his cars and parts.
Attachments
440 engine.JPG
71 D100 on street JPG (2).JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ya, nice that Jay is there to help with all the stuff. Saddest part is that the wife had left a few yrs back and he was on his own. Pretty *#%^@ when you're in you're 70's and the wife takes off. They were still together the first time he visited here.