Front Leaf Springs - Are they directional when installing?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Front Leaf Springs - Are they directional when installing?

Post by maxmac »

I installed a new set of leafs from General spring. The A & B measurements are both 24" so I assumed that it didn't matter which way they were installed. I now have the fenders bolted on and am noticing a difference in the clearance on the driver's side, like the axle is positioned further forward on that side.

Anyone have similar experience when swapping new springs in? I have a '66 Town Wagon (D100) but am converting to 4X4 so I have a set of '81 W150 Dana 44's under it now...

Thanks for any insights.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Front Leaf Springs - Are they directional when installin

Post by 712edf »

Are the springs symmetrical, meaning does the 24" of one end mirror the 24" of the other end? Are there any differences in the individual leaves from end to end?

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

From what I can tell, they are identical and symmetrical, which is why I didn't really put much thought into installing them. I will go re-measure them and post a couple pics of what I'm running into...

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Next quick test would be to run a tape measure back to rear wheels, see if Wheelbase is same both sides.

I'm guessing the fenders themselves aren't cattywompus from one side to other causing it to look like axle out of place issues.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

There is a difference on stock dodge springs. One end has the eye above the top leaf and the other end has it below.Switching ends will change the caster of the front axle and affect steering effort.
With a stock axle you want eye above in front/below in back.
With newer axle you want eye below in front/above in back.
If your springs are totally symetrical( both eyes up) they are chevy springs and you may need to use caster shims to make corrections.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Doug is right. The 81 truck had shackle at the rear of springpack, the 66 had the shackle at the front.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

So, I removed the spring, flipped it, and no change.. Still have clearance issues on the Driver's side.

Doug, the springs do have eyes up on both ends, even they were sold as a Dodge part.... Any way, I have some shims and will try to make some minor adjustments on that side using the shims.... Will likely have some time tomorrow to see if this works or not...

Thanks for the input folks!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Depending how tight the center pin is in its bore,you can get a lot of fore/aft adjustment from a spring pack. The more leaves,the more it can be out of whack. If everything measures up right with the axles,side to side and criss cross,it could be the body is missalinged too. You will likely have a bit too much -caster with those springs. It might not be a big deal if you have power steering,but will be a bear if you have armstrong...
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

so here's where I'm at. First Pic is the Curb side. I have about three fingers clearance at the front of the tire. On the Driver's side (second pic), it's more like one finger....
Attachments
CS Clearance.jpg
DS Clearance.jpg

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Looking at your pictures, it looks like the top one has the fender flare pushed out more than the flare in the bottom picture. :thinking
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Can only speak to the stock setup on the early D100's, but the front leafs do have differing ends - the front the eye is below the spring, in the back it is above. Power steering trucks also had the wedge-shaped shim to add caster.

Part numbers are different left to right for both 4-leaf (2,050 lb) and 5 leaf (2,500 lb) springs (although 5-leaf were the same before serial number 1574766), but length is the same I am pretty sure.