Power Brake Conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wayfinch
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kingston
State: WA

Power Brake Conversion

Post by wayfinch »

Hello all,
New to the forum here, and have a question about upgrading to power brakes. Be for y'all blast me I have checked the forum (and could have missed it) but didn't see any thing about what brake booster can I use on a 68 D100. I am a decent mechanic, just never really done a power brake conversion. I can't seem to find any info on what I need to look for with a brake booster. will any booster work, and how do I determine rod/ stroke length; is it as simple as measuring the from the pedal connection to the to where the booster beings. will I need to upgrade the master cylinder or can I use the one I have? I plan on keeping drums front and rear till I get the time to throw the 440 I have in to her; at which time I'm goanna convert to front disk. Is there anything I missed or any other info I need to get this done. I plan on using 3/16 cooper/nickel lines and replacing all the lines and rebuilding all for drums. Any help is appreciated. Cause as soon as this done and i repair the crack in the radiator she will be road worthy once again. thanks again for help and input :banghead
Waylon
If doesn't work the first time; you didn't use a big enough hammer.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Power Brake Conversion

Post by dodgeboykim »

I used an Up swept style booster and brackets form an early 70's Dart A body and fabricated the arm from pedal to linkage form 1 inch x 1/2 inch cold rolled heated , Bent and fitted. That was 35 years ago. You can adapt most any booster yo want with a little thought and if it will fit the space.

phpbabhqlPM.jpg
phpbabhqlPM.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 857 times
phpmuJ7TnPM.jpg
phpmuJ7TnPM.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 857 times
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

There is this http://piratejack.net/1959-1971-early-m ... -size-car/from MBM. Uses a hemi-style offset bracket to raise the booster up. Note that most of these will have interference with the upper lip on the firewall. You could bend it out of the way or fab some kind of spacer. As mentioned, you will also likely need to fab the pedal arm, as that style isn't adjustable.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

hitparader wrote:There is this http://piratejack.net/1959-1971-early-m ... -size-car/from MBM. Uses a hemi-style offset bracket to raise the booster up. Note that most of these will have interference with the upper lip on the firewall. You could bend it out of the way or fab some kind of spacer. As mentioned, you will also likely need to fab the pedal arm, as that style isn't adjustable.
Minimal interference at lip. That's what my truck has.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

wayfinch
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kingston
State: WA

Post by wayfinch »

Awesome thanks for all the in put. ill let y'all know what i come up with.
If doesn't work the first time; you didn't use a big enough hammer.