Modern (tube-less & split ring-less) Replica Wheels?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
DodgeJosh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: STL Area In IL
State: IL

Modern (tube-less & split ring-less) Replica Wheels?

Post by DodgeJosh »

Hi everyone,

Frustrated to learn with these trucks that no one really wants to work on split wheel wheels of this era anymore, but even if I do I don't like deal with tube tires. I like the factory wheels a lot. Are there any companies that reproduce the '61-'71, more specifically 1964 D200, wheels but modern wheel design that can accept modern tires?

Really don't want to go aftermarket modern styles, but may resort to that.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Modern (tube-less & split ring-less) Replica Wheels?

Post by dodgeboykim »

DodgeJosh wrote:Hi everyone,

Frustrated to learn with these trucks that no one really wants to work on split wheel wheels of this era anymore, but even if I do I don't like deal with tube tires. I like the factory wheels a lot. Are there any companies that reproduce the '61-'71, more specifically 1964 D200, wheels but modern wheel design that can accept modern tires?

You could check with Vintagewheel.com . I don't hold out much hope for them.
stocktonwheel.com. Possibly you could install your wheel centers into one piece tubeless rims. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

DodgeJosh wrote:Hi everyone,

Josh,
Do you have a set of the original "male" dog dish hubcaps for your original
split ring wheels? If not, you can get "close" to factory by picking up a set
of one piece '72-'93 dodge truck wheels. :idea :2cents The later "female"
200 series dog dish hubcaps that came along in '69 would work on the
'72-'93 wheels. :dance

Also, if you can find anyone with a set of original 17.5" Dodge truck wheels
for sale, that is another possibility. These were used somewhat regularly on
200 Series Sweptlines. One other option that comes to mind is the factory
Dodge 19.5" wheel..... but they're a bit tougher to come by.

For any of the original period Dodge truck wheels.... their width doesn't
allow for a very big tire.... so if you're after some beefy tires.... I'd say
aftermarket is probably your only choice. :2cents
John

DodgeJosh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgeJosh »

I've attached a picture of my truck below. So not sure what style these are called.

I'm leaning towards just modern 8x6.5 bolt pattern wheels and wider so I could have wider/beefer tires. I thought about somehow figuring out how to mount the caps so I have a mixture of modern wheels with the classic caps in the center look.
Attachments
Dodge D200 (004).jpg

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

If the caps pop over a stamped in ring, you can use Ford wheels. If they pop into the stamped in ring, you can use GM wheels. Do you have 9" or 10" caps?

8 on 6.5" is the industry standard from sometime in the 60s until current. 3/4 through 1.5 ton. Brand does not matter, Dana 60/70, GM 14 bolt, and Ford/Sterling 10.25 all have the same bearing housing outer dimension within less than a hair thickness. I've mixed and matched them at random on a couple trucks, single rear and dual rear wheel.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

WD wrote:If the caps pop over a stamped in ring, you can use Ford wheels. If they pop into the stamped in ring, you can use GM wheels. Do you have 9" or 10" caps?

8 on 6.5" is the industry standard from sometime in the 60s until current. 3/4 through 1.5 ton. Brand does not matter, Dana 60/70, GM 14 bolt, and Ford/Sterling 10.25 all have the same bearing housing outer dimension within less than a hair thickness. I've mixed and matched them at random on a couple trucks, single rear and dual rear wheel.
I think the hub hole on GM wheels is too small in diameter. :thinking
Its been a few years since I tried it.... maybe others can confirm this
either way. :study
John

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

True. GM wheels do not fit Fords/Dodges/Internationals and don't know about Jeeps.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Johninky wrote:True. GM wheels do not fit Fords/Dodges/Internationals and don't know about Jeeps.
The wheels on the neighbor's F350 came off a few wrecked 88-98 Chevy K3500s... And we did not have to do any grinding to fit them. $10 each at pull-a-part.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

G M 8 on 6.5 can be easily made to fit onto the DODGE's. I have a set on my 66 W100 that had the center hole enlarged to fit over hub. I also had a set on my 76 W200 Dana 60 front/rear. Only about 1/8 inch to remove.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

DodgeJosh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgeJosh »

Little bit of update since this post. So after reading everything saying these are split (locking ring) rim wheels for these trucks and that mine appear like they were, I inspected them better. Since no one wanted to work on them, I decided to take the tires off and see myself.

Well they're not split rim wheels? Only thing I can think of is someone obviously swapped the wheels from another truck, but these LOOK exactly like Dodge truck wheels of this era. Especially the center dome cap. What is going on? I'm probably missing a small detail to distinguish their shape and probably off a GM or Ford that I'm not aware of.

Check out the pictures below. Happy not to buy new wheels so I'm going to continue with the plan to refinish and buy modern radial truck tires.
Attachments
12718268_10156609721360193_4808648625670972328_n.jpg
12728843_10156609721315193_1748089328062471815_n.jpg
12669640_10156609721305193_8449223611497910098_n.jpg

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

my truck came on similar (yet definitely different) wheels with a dual bolt pattern and i just assumed they were a cheapish aftermarket option to fit many different trucks.. ?.

the domed baby moon chrome center caps have a paper label on the back that says 'made in taiwan'

i like the way they look and they're round so they'll stay

DodgeJosh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgeJosh »

coelcanth wrote:my truck came on similar (yet definitely different) wheels with a dual bolt pattern and i just assumed they were a cheapish aftermarket option to fit many different trucks.. ?.

the domed baby moon chrome center caps have a paper label on the back that says 'made in taiwan'

i like the way they look and they're round so they'll stay
That definitely sounds like a cheap aftermarket solution especially being a dual bolt pattern (not saying there aren't some nice looking aftermarket dual bolt pattern wheels).

I'm going with the amount of rust and wear, and the fact they're not a dual bolt pattern and the same bolt pattern as a Dodge D200, that they're probably still from the 1960's or maybe 1970's. Just curious what they're from as they sure do look spot on for D200's from the brochures I've seen and pictures, and baffles me as I initially thought they were split rim.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I had 2 of those kind of wheels on a 67 truck.They were made by Kelsey Hayes.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD