prop valve locations?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
shopguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Central
State: NJ

prop valve locations?

Post by shopguy »

For those who have changed to disk brakes...where exactly did you relocate the proportioning valve to? pick of the install?
thanks'

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Re: prop valve locations?

Post by hitparader »

Depends if you are using a separate distribution block. If so you can mount it on the frame rail just fore of the rear axle and regulate the rear brakes there. If you are using a single prop valve to both split the lines front/back and regulate flow, a common place is on the frame rail just aft of the steering box. If it is an adjustable kind you want it somewhere where you can reach the adjusting valve, but not where it can easily get knocked out of whack if you are changing plugs or headers or whatever. Mine had an old Hydrovac booster under the cab so I plan on using those mounting points for mine.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

shopguy wrote:For those who have changed to disk brakes...where exactly did you relocate the proportioning valve to? pick of the install?
thanks'
There is no prop valve from the factory on any swept, any year, so relocating is a misnomer.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

I used a disc/drum dist. block....no need for a prop. valve. If you are already plumbed, you can locate it by the master on the line to the rear or past the block to the rear line. :2cents

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Combinati ... 4d07d4c59f
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

:study :goodpost :Thumbsup

John

shopguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Central
State: NJ

Post by shopguy »

A disc brake combination valve is a necessity when doing a drum to disc conversion. The combination valve will provide all the valving necessary in the system. Combination valves perform four functions...(1) Proportioning, (2) Metering, (3) Residual Pressure, and (4) System Failure Warning.

From the ebay add. Yes: COMBINATION valve is what should be used, Prop. valve...is the wrong term. Just clarifying myself!

I found a cast iron comb. valve from a later 5th ave (drum disk) that should work for whatever I decide to go with........

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

shopguy wrote:For those who have changed to disk brakes...where exactly did you relocate the proportioning valve to? pick of the install?
thanks'
I located my valve forward and a little lower than original location. inside frame ,white circle
brake valve location.jpg

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc

Post by MrMopar »

I'll have to get a picture but I mounted mine at the rear, I didn't want to cut and re flair the lines and the front wasn't practical. All I needed was a jumper tube and a premade one was used.

Alan
Alan Erland
1967 Plymouth Barracuda
1969 Dodge Polara CHP
1969 Dodge Polara
1970 Dodge Camper Special
www.MrMopar.com

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc

Post by MrMopar »

PropValve2.JPG
The original line was removed from the hose and rebent to the rear and connected to the valve.

The new tube was bent up over the valve along the frame and then to the hose (bend is horizontal so unseen)

The c-clamp was to be temporary but has been there for years, valve holds itself in place so I didn't see it to be an issue.

Alan
Alan Erland
1967 Plymouth Barracuda
1969 Dodge Polara CHP
1969 Dodge Polara
1970 Dodge Camper Special
www.MrMopar.com